Kelechi Iheanacho celebrates his equaliser for Leicester against Aston Villa Image Credit: AFP

Leicester: Depleted by injuries and under almost constant pressure, Aston Villa came within 16 minutes of leaving Leicester with an unexpected advantage from the first leg of their English League Cup semi-final.

Then a “farcical” moment, as Villa manager Dean Smith put it, wasted all his team’s good work.

Villa defender Ezri Konsa was booked for time-wasting as he dallied over a free-kick inside his own half, then compounded that by playing a short, misguided pass to teammate Douglas Luiz, who was immediately dispossessed by Leicester substitute Hamza Choudhury.

The ball made its way to another second-half sub, Kelechi Iheanacho, who shifted it onto his favored left foot and slammed it high into the net to rescue a 1-1 draw for Leicester.

It’s all to play for between the two teams from central England in the second leg at Villa Park on January 28.

“It’s set up perfectly,” said Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers, whose team won 4-1 away to Villa in the Premier League a month ago.

The winner will play Manchester City or Manchester United in the final. City lead 3-1 after Tuesday’s first leg at Old Trafford.

Leicester, second in the league and the big pre-match favorites to win the semi, had 21 shots to Villa’s three but struggled for fluidity in front of the visitors’ stacked defensive line.

Indeed, Villa had just one shot on target at King Power Stadium and it went in, right-back Frederic Guilbert breaking forward to get on the end of a cross by Anwar El Ghazi and prod home a close-range finish in the first half.

Following a recent season-ending injury to Brazil international Wesley and with back-up striker Jonathan Kodjia also out, Villa didn’t play a recognised striker - a tactic also employed to good effect by City at Old Trafford on Tuesday - so lacked any presence up front.

Villa defended obdurately, with prolific Leicester striker Jamie Vardy - the top scorer in the Premier League this season - getting only three sights of goal. The first two before half-time were saved by Villa goalkeeper Orjan Nyland, also only playing because a season-ending knee-ligament injury to Tom Heaton, and Vardy’s third attempt was struck into the side-netting just before the final whistle.

“Leicester were the better team but we defended well at times,” Smith said. “We were loose on the ball, we’ve got to do better.”


English Legue Cup

Semi-finals (first leg)

Manchester United 1 Manchester City 3

Leicester City 1 Aston Villa 1