Los Angeles: Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane says the La Liga giants are poised to offload Welsh star Gareth Bale in the coming days.
Bale was left off Real Madrid’s roster for Saturday’s 3-1 exhibition loss to Bayern Munich at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas.
“He wasn’t included in the squad because the club is working on his departure and that’s why he didn’t play,” Zidane said. “We’ll have to see what happens in the coming days.
“We’ll have to see if it goes through tomorrow, if it does then all the better. Let’s hope, for everyone’s sake, that it happens soon.”
Zidane insists the 30-year-old forward is not a good fit for his squad. While Bale would be welcome at a host of marquee clubs, his big salary may prove to be an obstacle for all but the richest teams.
“It’s nothing personal,” Zidane added. “There comes a time when things are done because they need to be done. I’ve not got anything against him. We have to make decisions and change things, that’s all there is to it.
“I don’t know if this will happen in 24 or 48 hours’ time. The situation will change and it’s for the best for everyone.”
Bale joined Real Madrid six seasons ago, arriving to much fanfare and a blockbuster transfer fee. He has three seasons left on his deal and has been linked to Tottenham, Manchester United and Bayern.
United have declined showing any interest, Spanish sports daily Marca’s front cover earlier in the week suggested former club Tottenham were offering Bale “an exit” from the Bernabeu.
The reported deal would see Madrid receiving a €50-60m transfer fee with Spurs paying around half of his €17m-a-year salary, and Madrid handing the winger €25m up front to cover the remaining three years of his contract.
Bale, who has a contract at Real Madrid until 2022, played 42 games for Los Blancos last season, with 21 coming as a starter. Injury problems have limited Bale to only 79 games of a possible 151 in La Liga over the past four seasons.