3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Indian garam masala powder
1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
Salt to taste
For Tzatziki style dip
1/2 cup soaked cashews
1/2 medium diced cucumber
1/3 cup soy cream
1/3 cup water
1 clove of garlic
1 handful chopped mint leaves
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
To make tofu meat
1. Take a 500 grams block of medium firm tofu, wrap it in a kitchen towel and place a weight on top (I used my cast iron skillet).
3. Let it sit for 30 minutes until a lot of the water has been pressed out of it.
4. Keep in a container and freeze overnight.
5. The next day, remove from the freezer and let thaw (I used the help of a microwave to speed up the process).
6. Once thawed, wrap in a towel and place a weight on top again to press out the rest of the water for another 30 minutes.
7. Once the water has been pressed, your block of tofu should have reduced to about 1/3 of its original size.
8. Cut into strips and add to a mixing bowl.
9. Mix all the ingredients of the marinade well and pour over the tofu strips. Make sure the marinade is well incorporated and let it sit for another 20 to 30 minutes.
10. Heat up a pan on medium heat, add a tbsp of vegetable oil (optional) and cook the strips till they start to crisp up.
11. Once cooked, remove the strips from the pan and lightly heat the pita bread in the same pan.
To make tzatziki style dip
1. Add all the ingredients except the cucumber and mint into a blender.
2. Once blended, remove to a bowl and mix the cucumber and mint.
3. Refrigerate while preparing the tofu meat.
1. Lay the tofu strips onto the pita, add tomato slices, rocket leaves, pickles (optional) and drizzle a generous amount of the dip.
2. Roll into a wrap and serve hot!
Tell us about your favourite vegan recipes at email@example.com