1kg boneless lamb leg or shoulder, cubed
2 small onions, finely sliced
3 cloves garlic
5 tomatoes, finely chopped
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
300gm pumpkin, peeled and cubed
1 carrot, peeled and cubed
1 lemon, dried
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp bezar, spice mix
1 tsp crushed pepper
1 tsp black lemon powder
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp cardamom powder
3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1 piece of raqaq or markook bread
1. In a pan, bring the lamb meat to the boil with the water. Carefully remove the foam that starts to form on top. Let the lamb simmer for one hour. Strain and reserve the stock.
2. In a separate pot, fry the onion until light brown. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic. Top off with the lamb stock.
3. Heat a little oil in another pan and sauté the tomatoes until it forms a paste. Stir the paste into the onion-garlic mixture along with all the vegetables except the marrow. Add the lemon and stir until everything is coated with the paste.
4. Add the boiled lamb, some of the stock and the remaining ingredients except the marrow, coriander and bread. Season. Bring to the boil. Let it simmer until the potatoes are soft. Then add the marrow and coriander. Cook until the marrow is tender. Add a little more stock if required.
5. In a large shallow dish, layer the bread and pour the sauce. Then top the dish with the meat and vegetables. Serve.
Recipe courtesy: Sous Chef Mahmoud Haidar, Fairmont Dubai