For the salt caramel mix
500gm white sugar
2 tsp salt
For the French toast
150ml of full fat milk
A dash of vanilla essence
10ml corn oil
4 slices of brioche approximately 3cm thick
150gm mascarpone cheese
Macadamia nuts as desired
Sliced bananas as desired
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. To make the salt caramel mix, heat a sauté pan. When it is very hot, introduce the sugar in small amounts, adding a new batch only when the previous ones are fully melted.
3. When all the sugar is melted, add the butter. Be careful in this stage because the caramel will bubble rapidly when the butter is added. Stir the butter into the caramel until completely melted.
4. Very slowly, drizzle in the cream while stirring. Since the cream is colder than the caramel, the mixture will rapidly bubble or splatter so be careful. Allow the mixture to boil for one minute, remove from the heat and stir in the salt.
5. For the French toast, begin by beating the eggs, milk and vanilla essence together in a bowl.
6. Soak the slices of brioche in the egg mix. Make sure that the bread is well coated and that the eggs have properly soaked through.
7. In a medium-size frying pan, heat the corn oil on medium heat, add the toast and cook for 3 minutes on one side. Flip the toast, add some of the butter and place the pan in the oven for a couple of minutes until it is cooked through.
8. To finish, plate a piece of toast, pour the caramel sauce over it and top with mascarpone cheese, macadamia nuts and fresh banana.
Note: In this recipe that gets a caramel twist which becomes more toffee in taste as it gets plated. You can always add a pinch of salt as the caramel bubbles, bringing in an added dimension. But, a word of caution when working with caramel, please be very careful of its bubbly heat.
Tell us about your favourite recipes at firstname.lastname@example.org