5 cups low-salt chicken broth (homemade or canned)
4 tbsp butter
1/2kg large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 plum tomatoes, quartered
1-1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup grape juice
1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
10 fresh basil leaves, julienned
Salt and freshly-ground pepper
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted in dry pan
1. Bring broth to a simmer in a pot. In a large, heavybottomed saucepan, melt 2 tbsp of the butter over medium heat.
2. Add shrimp and saute for a minute or two, just until pink.
3. Remove them to a plate with a slotted spoon.
4. Add olive oil to the saucepan.
5. When hot, add shallots and garlic; saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes and saute until their liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes.
7. Add rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes to coat thoroughly.
8. Add tart grape juice; simmer, stirring often, until liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
9. Add a ladle of hot broth (1/4 to 1/2 cup) and stir rice, wiping it away from the bottom and sides of the pan, until liquid is absorbed.
10. Continue gradually adding broth and constantly stirring until the rice is firm but tender with no chalky centre, 20 to 30 minutes.
11. Stir the remaining 2 tbsp butter, 1/4 cup of the cheese and half the basil into the risotto. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
12. Portion risotto into individual bowls. Rewarm shrimp and arrange on top.
13. Sprinkle with pine nuts and the remaining cheese. Garnish with the remaining basil and serve.