For the shortbread
35gm caster sugar
100gm plain white flour
70gm ground rice
For the filling
55gm fresh raspberries
55gm fresh blueberries
4 tbsp half-fat crème fraiche
For the topping
Sprig of redcurrants
4 tsp icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 150⁰C. Lightly grease and line a 20-centimetre square cake tin with non-stick baking parchment.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Sift in the flour and add ground rice, a little at a time, mixing steadily with a wooden spoon.
4. Use your fingers to make a smooth but firm dough.
5. Press gently into the prepared tin, making sure you distribute the mixture evenly and flatly. Cut all the way through into 12 squares.
6. Bake for 55 minutes or until the shortcake is firm and lightly browned. Remove from the tin, gently break into 12 pieces and allow to cool.
7. When you are ready to serve, top four of the shortcake squares with half the berries and half the crème fraiche.
8. Add four more squares on top and then add a layer of the remaining berries and crème fraiche.
9. Finally, lay the last four squares on top, and decorate with a sprig of redcurrants. Sift the icing sugar and sprinkle about a teaspoon
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at email@example.com