½ cup (60gm) rice flour
1/4 cup (45gm) whole wheat flour
2 tbsp (30gm) refined flour
2 tsp Bengal gram flour
½ cup buttermilk
1 onion, big
3 green chillies
A few curry leaves
Salt to taste
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ cup water
A pinch bicarbonate
1 tbsp oil
1. Chop onion, chillies and curry leaves.
2. In a frying pan, heat 1 tbsp oil.
3. Put in the mustard and as the seeds crackle, add chillies, curry leaves and fry till golden brown.
4. Mix all the flours together, add salt, butter-milk and soda and mix with enough water to form a thin, pouring consistency batter.
5. Add the fried ingredients and stir well.
6. Pour a teaspoonful of oil in the griddle. Pour a ladle of batter over and spread thinly. When one side is brown, turn over and brown the other side.
7. Remove. Serve hot with chutney.
Image courtesy: Camera Press
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at firstname.lastname@example.org