4 chicken breasts, skinned
For vegetable soup:
2½ cups of chicken stock
450 gms chickpeas, soaked for 12 hours
2 small white turnips, peeled
3 carrots, scraped
1 green or red pepper, cored and seeded
2 leeks, trimmed
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tin or tube of harissa — hot chilli paste
1-2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
2 tbsp raisins
1 tbsp flaked almonds
1. Put the stock in a large pan. Slice the vegetables and add, with a quarter of a teaspoon of cumin and coriander and a little harissa, to the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes until tender. The vegetables in couscous are generally served well cooked.
2. Crush the rest of the cumin and coriander seeds and mix with the fresh coriander, salt and pepper. Coat the chicken with this mixture and place in a steamer basket set over the vegetables. Cover and steam gently.
3. Spread the couscous on a plate. Moisten with warm water and mix with your fingers to break up any lumps.
4. After about 5 minutes, moisten a little more. Put the couscous in a steamer basket over the chicken and let it steam for a further 10 minutes, by which time the chicken should be cooked.
5. Place a pot of the vegetable soup on the table with a small bowl of harissa. Spread the couscous on a large platter, garnish with raisins and almonds and arrange the chicken on top.
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at firstname.lastname@example.org