225gm (8oz) rice noodles
50gm (2oz) Chinese dried mushrooms
225gm (8oz) frozen petit pois (peas)
225gm (8oz) Chinese leaves
3 tbsp ground nut oil
3 tbsp ﬁnely sliced garlic
1 tbsp ﬁnely chopped fresh root ginger
6 fresh red or green chillies, de-seeded and ﬁnely shredded
6 water chestnuts (peeled if fresh, rinsed if tinned), sliced
3 spring onions, ﬁnely shredded
Salt and white pepper to taste
Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
For the curry sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp Madras curry powder (substitute at a push with regular curry powder or tandoori masala, add some cayenne powder and mustard powder to it, based on personal tolerance level)
2 tbsp apple juice or white grape juice
1 tbsp sugar
400ml (14ﬂ oz) tinned coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak the rice noodles in a bowl of warm water for 25 minutes and then drain them in a colander or sieve.
2. Soak the mushrooms in warm water for 20 minutes then drain them and squeeze out the excess liquid. Remove and discard the stems and ﬁnely shred the caps into thin strips.
3. Put the peas in a small bowl and let them thaw. Finely shred the Chinese leaves. Heat a wok or large frying pan over a high heat until it is hot.
4. Add the oil and, when it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the garlic, ginger and chillies and stir fry the mixture for 30 seconds then add the water chestnuts, mushrooms, Chinese leaves, spring onions, 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of white pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute. Then add the rice noodles and peas and continue to stir-fry for 2 minutes.
5. Now add all the sauce ingredients and season with ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper, then continue to cook over a high heat for another 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Turn the noodles onto a large warm platter, garnish with the coriander leaves and serve at once.
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at firstname.lastname@example.org