1. Wash rice and soak for 20 minutes. Peel and cut potatoes into quarters. Slice onions. Crush ginger and garlic and soak in a little water.
2. Heat oil and fry onions till golden brown. Remove and cool. Fry potatoes and remove.
3. Add coriander, chilli and turmeric to oil and fry gently. Sprinkle ginger /garlic juice. Stir and cook for a few minutes.
4. Drain rice and add to pan along with potatoes. Add water to rise one inch above level of solids in pan, add salt, bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to very low. Let it cook this way for 20 minutes.
5. Garnish with fried onions when serving.
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at firstname.lastname@example.org