Oktoberfest at Brauhaus
Oktoberfest is an annual occasion for eating, drinking and general merriment, not being able to make it to the real thing in Munich is no reason to miss out.
- The festivities centre around different types of beverages, so become a hops expert for the
- day and try something new.
- To get into the Oktoberfest spirit, order yourself a daunting litre mug. Even if beer’s not your drink of choice don’t worry, as you can enjoy your choice of drink in one of
- the special festival mugs.
- Sample some of the traditional food on offer. This year, Brauhaus has a huge spread of Bavarian food, including pretzels and bratwurst to be enjoyed.
- The traditional Oktoberfest outfits are nothing short of fabulous. Girls, sport your best dirndls, and guys grab your lederhosen for festivity fashion.
- While you’re enjoying all of the traditional food and drink on offer, the traditional Bavarian band, Volte, will be playing authentic music throughout the evening, giving the festivities a Munich seal of Oktoberfest approval.
Jumeirah Rotana, Dubai | Until October 23 | 04 345 5888
Erwin Olaf Exhibition at Carbon 12
Contemporary Dubai art gallery, Carbon 12 is presenting High Tension, an exhibition of Dutch photographer Erwin Olaf’s work – his first solo exhibition in the region.
The boundary-pushing artist switches between photojournalism and studio photography to explore issues ranging from gender to despair through his expressive and arresting images, and boasts a career that has spanned almost three decades. Having enjoyed global recognition with shows at some of the most prestigious galleries in the world – including the Chelsea Art Museum in New York – Olaf was most recently awarded
a Lucie Award in his native Netherlands.
Carbon 12, Al Quoz, Dubai | Until November 10 | 050 464 4392
Chequered Flag Ball
To add more glam to your Abu Dhabi Grand Prix experience, a ticket to the Chequered Flag Ball is a must. This year’s event features British singer, Mica Paris, with Scottish TV presenter, Kirsty Gallacher hosting, and it’s the perfect excuse to treat yourself to a new frock. A word of warning though, tickets sell out fast!
St Regis Hotel, Saadiyat Island, Abu Dhabi | November 11 | Tickets from Dh2,000 |
04 445 6842
Ekaterina Boat Trip
For a weekend on the big blue yonder, book yourself a relaxing trip on the Ekaterina yacht. Be picked up in Dubai and driven to the Fujairah-moored boat for some onboard R’n’R, whilst the crew prepares lunch, before setting sail for an exclusive and secluded beach, accessible only by boat. If you opt for the day trip you’ll return to land at around 8pm, but to take full advantage of the weekend, you can book the boat with a group of friends for an overnight trip. Feel like a star escaping the paparazzi
in one of the private yacht cabins, for a great way to explore the Northern Emirates.
Fujairah | 050 955 9861
Metallica Live in Concert
Why go? Any fan of the band knows a Metallica concert is not to be missed. The hard rock veterans pull out all of the stops on stage and deliver a high tech bonanza of pyrotechnics and laser lighting to accompany their biggest hits. The band are currently promoting their collaborative album with Lou Reed, Lulu, which is set for release at the end of the month. So, as well as their newer tracks and songs from their 2008 album, Death Magnetic, the band are sure to play their most popular crowd-pleasers, including Bleeding Me and One. If you had dreams of moshing the night away in the fan pit, unfortunately it’s already sold out, but don’t worry, you can still purchase general admission tickets, on sale now for Dh295