Sharjah: A massive campaign to help Syrian refugee children launched on World Refugee Day last week by Shaikha Jawaher Bint Mohammad Al Qasimi, Wife of His Highness Dr Shaikh Sultan Bin Mohammad Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah, has been extended till July 21.
The "Big Heart for Syrian refugee children" was launched on June 20 coinciding with the World Refugee Day by Shaikha Jawaher in her capacity as the Chairperson of the Supreme Council for Family Affairs and the Eminent Advocate for Refugee Children for the UN refugee agency (UNHCR). There is no shortage of heartbreaking accounts of Syrians fleeing their homeland to escape the death and horror, escaping with next to nothing.
The number of Syrian refugees is constantly growing. The Latest UNHCR figures show that there are over 1.7 million refugees as opposed to the 1.6 million figure that was just recorded last week. Most Syrian refugees take refuge in Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey, Iraq and Egypt.
Right for security
And those who suffer the most in any war are the children. That is why the campaign is dedicated to aid the children.
"Children are more vulnerable to injury and permanent disability. They also lose their innocence when they are forced to skip their childhood and become breadwinners overnight — looking after their younger siblings and elderly grandparents." Shaikha Jawaher had said in an earlier interview.
"Children of Syria are mine and yours… It is their birthright to have security, health and education…let’s work together to provide it to them," Shaikha Jawaher said.
People can contribute through different channels; text messages, bank transfers or by buying packages.
Anyone who owns an etisalat number can donate by sending an SMS to corresponding numbers that will allow them to donate Dh10, Dh50 or Dh100.
People can buy packages and the money collected will go towards the Big Heart campaign. Packages include scarves and flags with the campaign’s logo. The package prices are between Dh1,000 and Dh6,000.
One can also donate by transferring money to the bank account dedicated to the campaign "The Salam Ya Seghar For Syrian Refugee Children" directly.
On July 21, a new campaign with the same purpose will be launched to continue collecting donations that can help give Syrian children a better life.
How to donate
- 1. Donations from individuals and organisations deposited directly to The “Salam Ya Seghar For Syrian Refugee Children” account at Sharjah Islamic Bank IBAN: AE 580410000034430430012 .
- 2 Smaller organisation with small donation budgets but good relationships with other businesses/government organisations can help by Creating a “Friends of (name of organisation) for The Big Heart Campaign” group.This will allow the organisation to collect donations for the campaign. Once donations are sent to The Big Heart campaign, credit will be given to the organisation in the media
- 3.Packages — for organisations who would like to collect smaller donations from the staff Friends of SYS for Refugee Children
- package — 50 desk top flags and 50 Blue scarves - Dh6,000
- Platinum — 50 desk top flags, 10 Blue shade scarves and 20 white scarves — Dh4,000
- Gold Package — 40 desk top flags and 15 white scarves and five blue scarves — Dh3,000
- Silver Package — 30 desk top flags and 10 white scarves - Dh1,500
- Bronze Package — 15 desk top flags and five white scarves — Dh1,000
- To book orders, call: 06 5941115; 06 5941126; 06 5941100
- For Etisalat users Type “Donate” and send to SMS Codes 2000 to donate Dh10, 2002 to donate Dh50' 2003 to donate Dh100.
- Or through Salam Ya Seghar “For Syrian Refugee Children” Bank details Sharjah Islamic Bank Account number 0034 430430 012; IBAN AE5804 100000 3443 04300 12.
- Contact +971 6594 1111,+971 6594 1115, +971 6594 1103.