Gulf | Yemen

UN council warns against arms transfer to Yemen

Welcomes dialogue and expresses concern over interference by ex-regime in transition

  • Reuters & AFP
  • Published: 13:05 February 16, 2013
  • Gulf News

United Nations: The UN Security Council warned on Friday against attempts to destabilise Yemen with weapons shipments as the country tries to rebuild after two years of upheaval and expressed concern that former president Ali Abdullah Saleh was undermining the process.

The 15-member council said it was ready to consider further measures, including sanctions, “if actions aimed at undermining the Government of National Unity and the political transition continue”.

Yemen said its coast guard seized missiles and rockets on January 23 believed to have been sent by Iran. Iran has denied any connection to the weapons, which were found aboard a vessel off the coast in an operation coordinated with the US. Navy.

The Security Council has asked its group of experts that monitors compliance with the Iran sanctions, which includes a ban on arms exports, to investigate the incident after Yemen officially complained, Britain’s UN Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant told reporters.

“The Security Council expresses concern over reports of money and weapons being brought into Yemen from outside for the purpose of undermining the transition,” the Security Council said in a statement.

The Council praised plans for a national dialogue and warned former president Ali Abdullah Saleh he could face sanctions for undermining the political transition.

Yemen’s interim President Abd Rabbo Mansour Hadi last week set March 18 as the date for the long-awaited talks to push forward the transition process, after violent protests in 2011 and another year of political uncertainty.

The Council welcomed Hadi’s announcement and “commends those that have engaged constructively in the preparatory stages of the process”, it said in a statement.

It expressed “concern over reports of interference in the transition by individuals in Yemen representing the former regime” and the former opposition including Saleh and former vice-president Ali Salem Al Beidh.

The Council reiterated its “readiness to consider further measures, including under Article 41 of the UN Charter, if actions aimed at undermining the Government of National Unity and the political transition continue”.

Yemen was rocked in 2011 by an uprising that left the already impoverished country’s economy in tatters and weakened the government’s control over several areas, especially across the south and east.

Hadi was elected in February 2012 as part of a Gulf-brokered exit deal that eased former president Ali Abdullah Saleh out of office after 33 years in power, and ended a year of violent protests against his regime.

The national dialogue, which was originally planned for November, aims to draft a new constitution and an electoral law ahead of elections in 2014.

A top UN Security Council team visited Sana’a late January to demonstrate the UN’s support to Yemen’s political transition.

Gulf News
News Editor's choice
Gulf weather