Dubai: Students between the ages of five and 23 can apply for a discounted fare Nol Blue Card for public transport use, which includes the Dubai Metro, a senior official has said.
"The discounted fare card is available to students from all over the UAE," Mohammad Yousuf Al Mudharreb, Director of the Unified Automated Fare Collection Department at the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA), said.
However, he said those applying for the special card must be full-time students at accredited schools, colleges and universities in the UAE. Students, senior citizens and people with special needs will be able to apply online effective from tomorrow.
"They can either apply online or can submit their applications at the ticketing counters at the Metro and bus stations," Al Mudharreb told Gulf News yesterday.
There are different validity periods for the card based on different age groups of students. Students up to the age of 14 will get an Nol Blue Card with a maximum validity of five years.
If the student is 15 years old, his or her card's validity will be four years, with three years in case of 16-year-olds, two years in case the student is 17 years of age and one year if they are in the 18 to 23 age group.
Documents required for the application form include: a letter from the school, copy of the passport or Emirates Identity Card and a recent photograph.
Students can either attach these documents with their online application or submit them at the ticketing counters at the Metro and bus stations.
"Cards will be delivered to them by courier within 15 days of submitting the applications," Al Mudharreb said.
He also warned that the applicants must exercise caution when applying for special discounted cards because the Nol Blue card is not refundable.
— Applicants can log on to the Nol Card portal www.nol.ae or access it through RTA's website www.rta.ae
1-Student card requirement
- A student should be between five and 23 years of age.
- Should be a full-time student at an accredited school or college.
- Open to students from all over the UAE.
- Should source a letter of acknowledgement from the school.
- Should source a passport or Emirates ID copy and photographs.
- Once the application is processed, students can get a 50 per cent discount on the original fare.
2-Card for Senior Citizens
- Applicable only for UAE nationals.
- Applicant should be 60 years of age and above.
- Must source a copy of the National Identity card and photos.
- Once the application is processed, holder can get a 50 per cent discount on the original fare.
3-Card for Special Needs people
- Applicable only for individuals with a permanent disability.
- Applicants must submit their special needs card issued by the Ministry of Social Affairs.
- Should source a copy of their passport or Emirates ID card and photos.
Have your say
Will the discounted fare encourage you to use public transport? If not, what facilities would you like to have to use it?