Dubai: A rare reaction to antibiotics left a Filipina saleswoman in critical condition and fighting for her life at the Iranian Hospital.
Lynn Credo Del Rosario, 38, was admitted to hospital on August 8 after she purchased antibiotics from a pharmacy to treat the flu. Within 12 hours, she suffered burns all over her body which gradually increased as each hour went by. Over the next few days, her situation got worse from 40 per cent of the total body surface being affected to approximately 90 per cent.
Doctors at the hospital diagnosed her with a severe case of Stevens–Johnson Syndrome/ Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis, which are two forms of a life-threatening skin condition that affects one in a million people.
“The hospital has received several cases of Stevens–Johnson syndrome in the last six months but they had less than 30 per cent burns. This is the first time that we’ve seen such a severe case,” said Dr Kiumars Bayat, specialist Internal Medicine at Iranian Hospital.
He explained that this type of syndrome causes the skin to blister and shed off, leaving the skin to a similar condition to that of a burnt victim.
“This disease affects the immune system and varies among patients because some people are more sensitive than others. Lynn is being treated as a burnvictim and we have created a unit especially to prevent her from contracting any type of infection,” said Dr Bayat.
Credo Del Rosario has passed the acute phase when the symptoms progressed and is in the recovery stage, which happens to be the longest, as doctors are treating her with steroids and antibiotics.
“This disease can be caused by medications or viral infections, and there is not one particular substance that can be responsible as it is a combination of factors,” said Dr Bayat, who pointed out that the syndrome can also be induced as an allergic reaction to food.
Hospitalised and heavily sedated, Credo Del Rosario’s employers and colleagues are checking up on her daily at her bedside to lend her strength in her battle toward recovery.
Her medical insurance, however, does not cover the treatment and Credo Del Rosario’s employers have covered the medical expenses until now, which have surpassed Dh70,000.
As the costs are becoming too high for her employers to bear, a facebook page has been created to raise awareness in the community to assist in Credo Del Rosario’s road to recovery.
“Lynn is fighting for her life and cannot even take a shower without feeling agonising pain, as the soles of her feet are badly burned. She’s been fed with soup because her throat is badly burned as well, and we have been told that unless the payments are maybe, Lynn’s treatment will be stopped,” added Sara Abdul Wahab.