UAE | Government

Dubai landmark still in design stage

The Frame Tower will offer a bird’s eye view of the city

  • By Mariam M. Al Serkal, Senior Reporter
  • Published: 21:20 November 12, 2012
  • Gulf News

  • Image Credit: Courtesy Dubai Municipality

Dubai: Visitors atop the proposed Dh120 million ‘Dubai Frame’ will be able to have a bird’s eye view of both old and new Dubai.

The Al Berwaz Tower project ‘Dubai Landmark’ at Zabeel Park was given the go-ahead last July by His Highness Shaikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai.

Dubai Frame will stand 150 metres high with a mass of approximately 25,850 tonnes and expects to attract about two million visitors and tourists.

A sketch artist’s impression of the landmark from indoors, which was presented late last month to Dubai Municipality, shows that the ground floor will feature a number of poster-sized photographs that depict the emirate’s development over the past 40 years, in addition to cultural activities and exhibitions that aim to educate visitors about the country’s history.

“The project is still in the design phase and we are waiting for final approval. We expect the contract to be awarded in the next two months so that construction can start in the beginning of 2013,” said Moawya Abdul Rahman, head of the structural engineering unit at Dubai Municipality’s building department.

Panoramic views

The project will have an elevator that will be located inside the cladding in order to not obstruct visitors’ views. It will take visitors upto the sky bridge and its observation deck.

“As you go up, you will have a clear view of the city. Once on top of the 100-metre-long sky bridge, you can walk from one side to another, either on a wooden-like floor or, if you are more daring, on glass,” said Abdul Rahman, who is also head of the project’s technical team.

The project is expected to take approximately one year to complete. Municipality officials have confirmed that work on the foundation has already begun.

The design was initially proposed in 2009 by Fernando Donis of the Netherlands when he won a government-initiated competition for a new architectural landmark in Dubai.

Gulf News
Community Reports

More from Community Reports