Manama: Kuwait’s 2009-2011 Parliament, reinstated this month by the constitutional court, will convene as soon as the new cabinet is formed, Jassem Al Khorafi, the former speaker, has said.
The court reinstated the parliament after it annulled the Emiri decrees to dissolve it and to call for fresh elections, ruling they were unconstitutional.
The ruling by the country’s highest court that cannot be appealed is, however, being challenged by opposition lawmakers elected in February and their supporters.
Some of the 2009-2011 Parliament MPs said that they did not plan to re-take their seats and wanted to ease their way out of the increasingly bitter standoffs.
However, Al Khorafi who last year said that he would not seek re-election, said that he was fully committed to the constitutional court decision that calls for the new government to be sworn in before the 2009 Parliament ahead of all other procedures.
However, several 2009 lawmakers said that they were not keen on holding just one session for the swearing-in of the government.
“The majority of the 2009 parliament lawmakers do not plan to attend a session if it is going to be followed by dissolution,” MP Adnan Abdul Samad said.
The four-year term normally ends in the 2013 summer.
Legal experts from all sides have been wrangling over the merit of last year’s decrees, the constitutionality of the February elections and the jurisprudence of the constitutional court,
One source told local Arabic daily Al Qabas that “the mere call for holding a session is sufficient for the cabinet to file a letter calling for the promulgation of a decree to dissolve the parliament constitutionally.”
Mohammad Al Feeli, a constitutional expert, said that the lack of a quorum that prevents the 2009 parliament from convening “provides a justification to the cabinet to file a no-cooperation motion”. The move would be unprecedented in Kuwait’s history, he said.
Shaikh Jaber Al Mubarak Al Sabah, the prime minister, has made it clear to the opposition that his future cabinet does not have plans to cooperate with the 2009 parliament, Kuwait Times reported on Thursday.
The pledge was made during a meeting with MPs Jamaan Al Harbash and Musallam Al Barrak before the cabinet’s announcement of its resignation on Monday.
“The premier gave assurances that neither he nor any minister plans to attend a session of the 2009 parliament”, sources told the daily.
The opposition, in return, has agreed not to hold marches during the demonstrations they have arranged in Iradah (Will Power) Square in Kuwait City.