Dubai: Libya plans to file a case against Qatar at the International Criminal Court (ICC) for its ‘destructive role’ in the country.
Addressing a press conference in Benghazi on Wednesday evening, Ahmad Mesmari, spokesperson for the Libyan National Army, known as Haftar’s forces, said that Qatar destroyed the whole Arab country. He said Libya did not have any dealing with Qatar since 2012 because of its support to the terrorist groups”.
“The destructive role of Qatar in Libya will come to an end soon,” Mesmari was quoted as saying by press reports.
Libya plans to file a case against Qatar at the International Criminal Court over its role in a [series] of assassinations in Libya,” Mesmari said, accusing Qatar of being behind the killing of Major-General Abdul Fatah Younus and a bid on the life of Army Chief Khalifa Haftar.
Younus, who had been head of the Free Libya’s Army, was killed in July 2011.
Libya was among the Arab countries that cut their diplomatic relations with Qatar earlier this week over its policies of supporting terrorism.
One of the Libya’s three rival governments decided to cut diplomatic ties with Qatar after Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Egypt and Yemen did so. The decision to cut diplomatic relations with Qatar was made because of its “black record” in Libya since the ousting of the former regime of Muammar Gaddafi.
Mohammad Al Deri, the Libyan foreign minister of the interim Libyan government, accused Qatar of “harbouring terrorism” according to Libyan official news agency LANA.
The Interim government of Libya is affiliated with the internationally recognised House of Representatives and is based in eastern Libya. Another internationally recognised Government of National Accord is based in Tripoli and brokered by the United Nations while the third rival government is based in Tripoli.
The power players of the interim government based in eastern Libya have always accused Qatar and Turkey of backing Islamists in Libya, including the Muslim Brotherhood.
Libya sank into lawlessness after the ouster and killing of longtime dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.
Addressing the press conference, Mesmari alleged the Palestinian group of Hamas is also involved in the ongoing conflict in Libya, through “training extremists in Libya with Qatari funds”.
Doha, according to the Libyan military spokesperson, sent “billions of dollars” to Libya through Tunis.
Meanwhile, press reports quoted the energy committee at the Libyan parliament of asking the national oil company in the county to review and annul the contracts signed with Qatar.
“Libyans will not allow Qatar to play with their future,” Mesmari said.
He said the decision to cut diplomatic relations with Qatar was made because all the Libyan people are united against Qatar and its role in Libya.