Six killed in kindergarten attack in China; suspect detained

The victims include one teacher, two parents and three students

Last updated:
1 MIN READ
Media reported the attack in Lianjiang county was a stabbing. The suspect, with the surname Wu and from Lianjiang, had been detained, police said, adding they were investigating.
Media reported the attack in Lianjiang county was a stabbing. The suspect, with the surname Wu and from Lianjiang, had been detained, police said, adding they were investigating.
Shutterstock

Beijing: Six people were killed and one wounded in an attack at a kindergarten in south China's Guangdong province on Monday, a spokeswoman for the city government said.

"The victims include one teacher, two parents and three students," she said.

She did not offer details about the identities and age of the victims, nor on the weapon used in the attack, which took place in the city of Lianjiang.

"One suspect has been arrested," she added, adding that a police investigation was underway.

The incident happened around 7:40 am (2340 GMT on Sunday), the state-backed China News Network reported.

China strictly prohibits citizens from owning firearms, and there has been a spate of stabbings in recent years.

Fatal attacks specifically targeting schools have occurred nationwide, prompting authorities to step up security around schools.

Sign up for the Daily Briefing

Get the latest news and updates straight to your inbox

Up Next