Vikas Dubey
Family members of Vikas Dubey gangster arrives at Bhairav Ghat in Kanpur on Friday. Gangster Vikas Dubey’s body has been taken to Kanpur's Bhairav Ghat directly from the post-mortem house for cremation. Image Credit: ANI

Kanpur: Update: 

"The Uttar Pradesh administration has done the right thing by taking action against my son," said an old and feeble Ram Kumar Dubey, father of gangster Vikas Dubey.

The father supported said his son killed eight police officials and it was an unforgivable sin.

"Had he listened to us, his life would not have ended this way. Vikas never helped us in any way. Due to him, even our ancestral property was razed to the ground. He also killed eight policemen, which is an unforgivable sin. The administration has done the right thing. Had they not done so, tomorrow others would have acted similarly," Ram Kumar told ANI here.

"It is the chief minister's duty to protect every individual. The police is an extension of that. He attacked them which cannot be forgiven. I will not even take part in his cremation," he added.

Ram Kumar Dubey said that his only appeal to the government is to allow him entry to his ancestral property now.

Hours after dreaded gangster Vikas Dubey was killed in an encounter by the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force (STF), his body was cremated at the Bhairon Ghat in Kanpur on Friday.

Earlier, the autopsy on the body was done under the supervision of Dr. RC Gupta at the post-mortem centre here, a police official told IANS on the condition of anonymity.

Many women had also reached Bhairon Ghat to attend the funeral. It is being said that the police had also brought Dubey's wife and son to perform the last rites.

It was learnt that Dubey's mother had refused to visit Kanpur from Lucknow to receive the body after post-mortem. She has also not spoken to the media after the encounter at Bhaunti in Bara police circle, around 30 km from Kanpur.

Dubey was killed on Friday morning after being critically injured in an alleged shootout with STF officials. He was shot when he reportedly tried to flee, following a road accident in which the vehicle he was travelling in overturned.

Dubey was taken to the emergency ward of the Hallett Hospital in a blood-soaked condition.

SSP Kanpur Dinesh Kumar said that the doctors confirmed the death of Dubey.

According to reports, as the convoy bringing Dubey from Madhya Pradesh's Ujjain reached Bhauti area under Barra police circle in Kanpur on Friday morning, the vehicle in which Vikas was seated, overturned after skidding on the road due to heavy rain.

Dubey, along with two other police personnel in the vehicle, was injured in the accident.

As soon as Dubey was taken out of the vehicle, he allegedly snatched a pistol from the STF team and tried to fire at the police. He was fatally injured in retaliatory firing.

Dubey received a bullet injury on the chest which proved fatal.

Two STF personnel were also injured in the encounter.

Five members of the Dubey gang have been killed in police encounters over the past seven days.

Vikas Dubey gangster
Police arrest Vikas Dubey, the main accused in the Kanpur encounter case, at the Mahakal temple, in Ujjain on Thursday. Image Credit: ANI

Earlier report

Gangster Vikas Dubey was shot when he attempted to flee after the car overturned, Uttar Pradesh police said. Police tried to make him surrender, during which he fired at the policemen. He was injured in retaliatory firing by police. He was later rushed to the hospital, said SP Kanpur West.

The dreaded gangster was being brought to Kanpur in a convoy from Madhya Pradesh when the incident occurred.

Dubey, the main accused in the Kanpur shoot out case was arrested by the police in Ujjain on Thursday morning. He was on the run for the last six days and had come to Ujjain to offer prayers at Temple, where he was identified by a security guard at the shrine.

Read more

The gangster was the main accused in the encounter that took place in Bikru village in Chaubeypur area of Kanpur last week, in which a group of assailants allegedly opened fire on a police team, which had gone to arrest Dubey. Eight police personnel were killed in the encounter.

Dubey managed to escape after the shootout and the Uttar Pradesh police launched a hunt for him and raised the bounty on him to Rs 5 lakh.