Dubai: If you have the opportunity to work remotely for a global company, based anywhere in the world, you can apply for a remote work visa in the UAE, which will allow you to live in the UAE while working for any company in the world.
The remote work visa or virtual work visa was announced by the UAE cabinet on March 21, 2021, that allows employees from all over the world to live and work in the UAE for one year.
How to apply for the remote work visa from Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Ajman, Ras Al Khaimah, Umm Al Quwain and Fujairah
If you wish to apply for a visa from any Emirate in the UAE, except Dubai, you would need to apply for the process through the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship (ICA).
The authority recently posted on its official social media accounts the steps people need to follow to complete the application process online:
1. Log in to the ICA website – iac.gov.ae
2. Select ‘e-channel services’.
3. Then select the Public services option.
4. Under the visa service, select Virtual Work Residency – People inside the country – Issue residence.
5. You would then need to fill in the required data including the name of the person who is applying for the visa, their passport number and Emirates ID.
6. You would then need to attach documents to complete the application process.
7. Once you have reviewed your application, you need to pay the fees.
How to apply for the remote work visa from Dubai
If you wish to apply for the visa from Dubai, you would need to start the process through Dubai Corporation of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DCTCM) website visitdubai.com.
The cost of the one-year visa is $611 (Dh 2,244) in total, inclusive of application fees, processing costs, medical and Emirates ID.
You would also need to have a health insurance with UAE coverage validity, or travel insurance with healthcare coverage, which can then be changed to UAE health insurance once your visa formalities have been completed.
To be able to apply for the virtual work visa, you will need to fulfil the following requirements:
1. Passport with a minimum of six months’ validity.
2. Health insurance with UAE coverage.
3. For employees: Proof of employment from a current employer with a one-year contract validity, a minimum of US$5,000 (Dh18,366) per month salary, last month's payslip and three preceding months’ bank statements.
4. For business owners: Proof of ownership of the company for one year or more, with an average monthly income of US$5,000 (Dh18,366) per month and three preceding months’ bank statements.
How to start the application process
You can start the process, by filling in your details, like full name, email address mobile number and current country of residence, on the Visit Dubai website - https://www.visitdubai.com/en/business-in-dubai/travel-to-dubai/visas-and-entry/work-remotely-from-dubai