Picture used for illustrative purposes only. Image Credit: Stock Image

Since 2010, the UAE's Labour Law has made provisions, which allow an employee to have a part-time job along with a full-time one subject to certain conditions. The employee can work part-time after getting the work permit from Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE).


The fee for part-time work permit includes an application fee of Dh100 and an approval fee of Dh500.


As per Federal Decree Law No. 2 of 2007, if an expatriate is caught working for another company without an official permit, then a fine of Dh50,000 will be applied to the hiring company, in addition to other penalties in case of repeating the offence.

Picture used for illustrative purposes only. Image Credit: Stock Image

For people on an existing work permit

Emiratis, other GCC nationals and expatriate employees who are living in the UAE on a work visa, can take up a second job, upon getting a part-time work permit from MoHRE, which is valid for one year.

Part-time work permit holders are allowed to work in another company at the same time as working in the current company on a part-time basis for less than eight hours per day.

For people on a dependent visa

Those who live in the UAE on a family visa can take up a second job after getting a part-time work permit with a No Objection Certificate from the sponsor. Such work permits can be issued to men and women between 18 and 65 years of age.

Temporary/Part-time work permit

It is a service provided by the Ministry to recruit a national or expatriate worker residing in the UAE to carry out a certain work within a period not exceeding six months.

Required Documents

  1. A copy of both establishments' trade licences (the current establishment and the application applying establishment).
  2. A colour photograph with a white background of the applicant.
  3. A copy of the applicant's passport.
  4. If academic qualification is required (post-secondary diploma, university degree or equivalent), a copy thereof which should be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs shall be attached.
  5. A letter of approval issued by the competent authority shall be attached if so required (doctor, pharmacist, nurse, and teacher).
  6. A copy of the contract.
  7. No objection certificate from the first sponsor.
  8. A copy of the applicant's visa that includes (the sponsor or establishment name) that is valid for more than six months.

Terms and Conditions

Workers who are registered in the Ministry, under following conditions:

  1. The permit and residency visa shall be valid for more than six months
  2. The permit's period shall not exceed six months or the current permit expiry date, whichever is earlier.
  3. Approval of those authorised signatory of the current and applying establishments shall be submitted.

Workers not registered at the Ministry:

  1. Government employees.
  2. Students of both genders (from the age of 18 years) who are under the sponsorship of their relatives, schools, or universities. On the condition that the visa profession is (student).
  3. Females (from the age of 18 years) who are under the sponsorship of their relatives.
  4. Husbands of UAE national women.
  5. Children of UAE national women.

Under the following condition:

  • The worker and his/her non-national relatives shall have a valid residence visa stamped in the passport.
  • The guardians approval.
  • This permit shall be valid for six months.
  • Submitting approval of the profession related authority (Ministry of Affairs – Ministry of Health – Ministry of Education – Sports, Youth, Community Development Authority).
Picture used for illustrative purposes only. Image Credit: Stock Image


The Ministry may approve to grant a temporary work permit, without satisfying the condition related to the former employer's approval and the validity of the card and residence visa, in the following cases:

A labour complaint that is referred by the Ministry to a court of law.

If it is confirmed that the employer failed to pay wages for a period exceeding two months according to the wages protection office report or the labour relation offices report.

General conditions for the above:

  • The applying establishment trade licence should be valid.
  • The new labour profession should be suitable with the establishment activity.
  • The labour should not be below 18 years of age.


Request for initial approval of a new electronic work permit (Part-time)

  • 1st Category: AED 100
  • 2nd Category: Level (A) AED 100 – Level (B) AED 100 – Level (C) AED 100
  • 3rd Category: AED 100

Initial approval of a new electronic work permit (Part-time) six-month period

  • • 1st Category: AED 500
  • 2nd Category: Level (A) AED 500 – Level (B) AED 500 – Level (C) AED 500
  • 3rd Category: AED 500
Service centers to apply are Tas'heel
From Saturday till Thursday
From 8am to 8pm
For Inquiries call on 80060, from 8am to 2pm