Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1 kg baby potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tsp tomato paste
4 tsp chopped garlic (you can add more if you like more garlic)
4 tbsp flour
chilli powder or 1 chilly pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
1 lemon, cut in half
Handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
1. Pre-heat oven at 200 degrees Celcius.
2. In a large pot add cubed potatoes and water, it is important that the water is not pre-heated.
3. Place pot on high heat for the water to boil, once the water has boiled keep cooking your vegetable for an additional 6 minutes so that the potatoes are only par-boiled. You want to make sure that the potatoes are not soft.
4. Drain the par-boiled potatoes and season with salt and pepper and toss in flour so that all the potato cubes are lightly coated. This is how the potatoes get their crispy texture.
5. Pre-heat a baking pan drizzled with vegetable oil and olive oil for 2 minutes in the oven. The baking pan needs to be large enough so that all the potatoes sit on only one layer in the pan.
6. Remove the baking pan, add tomato paste and chopped garlic to the heated oil and mix ingredients together.
7. You will hear a wonderful sizzle at this point.
8. Add in the par-boiled potatoes and toss the ingredients together until the potatoes get coated with the wonderful red colour from the tomato paste.
9. Roast the potatoes in the oven at 200 degrees Celcius for about 45 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown.
10. Remove the potatoes from the oven, mix chilli powder or fresh chilli, coriander, and freshly squeezed fresh lemon. Toss ingredients together and serve. (Note, skip the chilli when making this for kids).