1kg whole chicken, with skin
1 white onion (chopped)
1 pinch saffron threads
1 tbsp lemon zest
3 lemons, sliced
4 tbsp lemon juice
20ml sunflower oil
For saffron rice
1kg Iranian Basmati Rice
1 pinch saffron
50ml water (for saffron butter)
1 tsp salt
1. Wash chicken by rinsing with cold water and some lemon juice.
2. For the marination, mix all other ingredients in a bowl except chicken, and rest in chiller 3-4 hours (preferably overnight) and until yellow in color. When ready, apply on all sides of the chicken.
3. Place the chicken in an oven tray and roast in a pre-heated oven at 160 degrees for 45 minutes. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the chicken. If it goes in easily and comes out without liquid, it is cooked. Rest for 5 minutes.
4. Serve with saffron rice and enjoy!
For the saffron rice
1. Wash the rice, pour into salted boiling water and cook for 11 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
2. Keep butter in room temperature until softened.
3. Mix water with saffron threads and butter until yellow in color. Keep in the chiller for about 30 minutes or until hard.
4. Put rice in a pot (preferably cast iron pot), add saffron butter and salt on top. Cover the pot and cook in low flame for 45 minutes.
5. Mix the rice and let it rest for 10 minutes in a warm place before serving.
Photo courtesy: Anas Thacharpadikkal/GN
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at firstname.lastname@example.org