3 medium carrots, chopped coarsely
3 stalks celery, trimmed, chopped coarsely
1 large onion, chopped coarsely
2 cloved garlic, crushed
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
3/4 cup tomato paste
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 ½ cups beef stock
1.5kg lamb shoulder
½ cup frozen peas
150gm baby spinach leaves
1 tbsp cornflour (corn starch)
1 tbsp water
800gm potatoes, chopped coarsely
½ cup hot milk
½ cup coarsely grated cheddar
1. Combine carrot, celery, onion, garlic, herbs, paste, sauce and stock in a 5-litre slow cooker. Add lamb, turn to coat in mixture. Cook, covered, on high for about 2 hours. Reduce to low, cook for about 8 hours.
2. Remove lamb from cooker; shred meat coarsely, discard fat and bones. Discard herbs from cooker. Return lamb to cooker with peas and spinach.
3. Blend cornflour and the water in a small cup, stir into cooker; cook, uncovered, on high, for 20 minutes or until thickened. Season to taste.
4. Meanwhile, boil, steam or microwave potato until tender; drain. Mash potato with butter and milk until smooth; season to taste.
5. Preheat grill.
6. Transfer lamb to a 2.5 litre ovenproof dish. Spoon potato over lamb mixture; sprinkle with cheddar. Grill for 5 minutes or until top is browned lightly.
7. Serve with green leafy salad or coleslaw.