2 26-cm store-bought puff pastry, cut in a round shape
For the frangipane:
180 gms fine castor sugar
90 gms softened butter
3 whole eggs
225 gms almond powder
2 vanilla beans
75 gms pastry cream
140 gms red berry compote
1 egg yolk, for egg wash
5 ml milk, for egg wash
For the raspberry compote:
200 gms mixed red berries
25 gms fine castor sugar
1. For the frangipane, combine the sugar and butter. Whisk until fluffy. Cut the vanilla bean in half and grate the seeds. Add vanilla seeds, almond powder and egg to the butter mix. Combine until smooth.
2. Add the pastry cream and mix until smooth and refrigerate.
3. For the raspberry compote, combine the sugar and red berries in a thick-bottomed pan. Bring it to a boil.
4. Let it simmer while stirring regularly until it starts to thicken. Leave it to cool before using.
5. Adjust the sugar content depending on the berries. Add sugar only if the berries are sour.
To assemble the galette des rois:
1. Preheat your oven to 180C.
2. Place the first sheet of round puff pastry on a base.
3. Add a thin layer of red berry compote and spread it evenly, keeping at least 1.5 cm from the border empty.
4. Cover the compote with a layer of frangipane.
5. Using a pastry brush slightly wet the border of the puff.
6. Cover the filling with the second sheet of round puff pastry.
7. Using your thumb or the base of your hand, press the puff pastry sheets together. You can also use a fork to press. This will also give you a neat design. You can also hide your charm at this step.
8. Keep the ‘galette’ in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before baking.
9. Combine egg yolk and milk to for the egg wash.
10. After 15 minutes, brush the ‘galette’ with the egg wash.
11. Using a sharp knife, mark the ‘galette’ gently with the tip. Ensure you don’t make deep cuts, but light, visible patterns.
12. Bake at 180C for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool before slicing.
13. Serve and enjoy!