1 plain flour batter
2 heaped tbsp panko breadcrumbs
1/2 small aubergine, sliced into 1 cm-thick round
2 tbsp vegetable oil
30 gms mixed mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 hirata buns (steamed)
1 tbsp Kewpie mayonnaise
1 coriander sprig, leaves picked (optional)
1. Add plain flour batter into a bowl and place the breadcrumbs in a separate shallow bowl. Dip the aubergine slices into the batter and then into the breadcrumbs, ensuring each slice is coated well.
2. Heat oil in a wok over a medium-high heat and, once hot, shallow-fry the aubergine slices until crisp and golden on both sides.
3. Transfer the slices on to a plate lined with kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil and set aside.
4. Drain the oil from the wok and then fry the mixed mushrooms, without stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Add the soy sauce, stir to coat and then stir-fry for a further 5 minutes.
6. Take a hot steamed bun, open it apart gently and fill with some fried aubergine and some mushrooms. Add a little kewpie mayonnaise and garnish with fresh coriander.
7. Repeat with the remaining buns and serve warm.
Tell us about your favourite recipes at email@example.com