Ingredients for quiche shells
250 gmsT55 flour (can be replaced with all-purpose flour)
5 gms salt
125 gms butter, cubed and frozen
2 whole eggs
30 ml cold water
Ingredients for filling
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
200 ml cooking cream
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of pepper
Add your favorite topping – cheese, turkey ham, vegetables, nuts etc.
Method for the Quiche shells
1. Mix all ingredients - flour, salt, eggs, butter (crushed or grated into the mix) and water together.
2. Wrap the mixture in cling film and place in the refrigerator to set.
3. After 2 to 4 hours, dough can be rolled to make the shells. Use quiche moulds to form six shells.
Note: Quiche moulds are readily available at supermarkets or with online retailers.
4. Bake the shells at 175C for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, brush with egg wash (whisked whole egg) and put back into oven to finish baking for a further 8 minutes.
Note: We use 12cm round aluminum molds for baking the quiche shells but any size that’s on hand can be used. If your stove does not have a fan setting, then simply bake the quiche at 150C.
Method for the filling
1. Mix all ingredients together, including your favorite toppings.
2. Fill shells with the filling.
3. Bake in preheated oven (150C) and 75 per cent fan for 10 to 15 minutes, until eggs are cooked through, cheese melted and quiches look set.
4. Serve warm with a side of mixed greens.
An additional whole egg (whisked) is needed for the egg wash.
You can try a variety of delicious combinations such as Tomato, turkey bacon, onion or Turkey ham, onion, Emmental cheese and gorgonzola and walnuts.
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at firstname.lastname@example.org