300 gms Savoiardi ladyfingers preferred
500 gms mascarpone cheese
4 medium eggs, about 220 gms
100 gms granulated sugar
300 ml coffee, must be espresso
Unsweetened cocoa powder to taste
1. First of all, make the coffee. For a quick and delicious Italian coffee, Chef Scotto uses an old Bialetti moka (vintage stovetop moka pot). Set aside and let it cool.
2. Separate egg whites from yolks. Take a bowl and whip the egg whites until stiff (you can use a whisk). It is whipped to the right consistency when the egg whites do not move if you turn the bowl upside down. When ready, set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until pale and smooth, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. In the meantime, pour the mascarpone cheese into a bowl and work it with a spoon to make it soft. Mascarpone cheese must be of excellent quality, creamy and thick. When the egg yolks are ready, add the mascarpone cheese.
5. Whisk the mascarpone cream slowly for 2 or 3 minutes using a flex edge beater. Now add the stiffened egg whites.
6. Mix with a wooden spoon, from bottom to top, creating an oval shape. Mix slowly until it’s smooth and creamy.
7. Now we are going to make the layers of ladyfingers and mascarpone cream. You can make 2 or more layers, depending on the width and depth of your pan. So dip quickly (1 or 2 seconds) Savoiardi ladyfingers into the coffee. Note: Savoiardi should not absorb too much coffee; otherwise, your tiramisu will turn out to be too soggy. Then place them in a ceramic or glass cooking pan.
8. Arrange them to cover the bottom of the pan. Spread the mascarpone cream on top of the Savoiardi.
9. Add another layer of Savoiardi and then cover with more mascarpone cream. If you are making the last layer, spread plenty of mascarpone cream.
10. Finally, sprinkle with cocoa powder. Let rest for three hours in the refrigerator before serving (even better if you make the Tiramisu a day before, let it rest all night long in the fridge). You can add dark chocolate flakes on top if you like.
Do you have a favourite dessert recipe to share with us? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org