Dubai: The world’s first air-conditioned safety helmet for workers was launched at the India Pavilion in Expo 2020 Dubai today. The Jarsh-NIA AC Helmet, designed for the outdoor workforce and field executives, has been manufactured by India’s technology and safety start-up Jarsh Safety.
Kamran Birjees Khan, chief executive officer of NIA Limited, said the helmet will provide relief to those working outdoors under the harsh summer sun.
“We are proud to introduce to the UAE and the wider region this game-changing safety and comfort gear from Jarsh Safety, India’s award-winning start-up. Expo 2020 Dubai is about innovation and sustainability such as the AC helmet,” said Kamran.
In the UAE, construction workers are not permitted to work outdoors during the hottest hours of the day in the summer months. In addition, UAE law mandates that workers should be provided with safety gear and appropriate clothing to protect them against injuries and dangers while at work.
“The world’s first AC safety helmet is designed to keep the industrial, construction and other outdoor workforce and executives comfortable while they work in high temperatures,” said Kamran.
The price of the helmet — powered by a rechargeable battery that requires zero maintenance — was not revealed at the launch ceremony. Kamran said Nia Limited received many requests from companies regarding this helmet.
Powered by a rechargeable battery that requires zero maintenance, the AC Safety
According to Kausthub Kaundinya, CEO of Jarsh Safety, the AC helmets improve productivity while ensuring the safety and comfort of its users. These helmets come with pre-installed rechargeable battery pack.
“The premium model for senior executives has a battery life of two hours, while the heavy-duty model for the skilled workforce has a ten-hour battery backup,” said Kaundinya. “Four vents across the helmet provide a uniform cooling experience, keeping the user sweat-free, comfortable and productive while on the job,” he added.
Types of AC helmets:
1. Model C: For machine operators. These increase operator efficiency and can be directly connected to the machine’s low-voltage power source for unrestricted use.
2. Model S: For skilled technicians. Model S enhances productivity and its battery pack offers ten hours of comfort on a single charge.
3. Model E: For management personnel, architects and executives. Model E is designed for comfortable field visits and its battery pack offers two hours of comfort on a single charge.
4. Model W: For welding equipment operators. Model W offers additional protection for the eyes, face and neck area. Its battery pack offers two hours of comfort on a single charge.
- Discover why future is human at Dubai Cares Pavilion in Expo 2020 Dubai
- Expo 2020 Dubai is the entire world in one place
- Mastercard users get discounted Uber rides to and from Expo 2020 Dubai
- Watch: World Economic Forum founder Klaus Schwab visits Expo, congratulates UAE on its success in hosting event
AC helmet born in a garage
Kaundinya said that the industrial helmet has not seen much innovation in more than a hundred years, since its inception in 1919. In 2016, Kaundinya, Sreekanth Kommula and Anand Kumar made a prototype of the AC helmet after experiencing discomfort while using the conventional safety helmets.
Realising its potential in bettering the lives of those at the bottom of the workforce pyramid, they formed a manufacturing start-up and quickly scaled up the helmet’s production. “We started our journey from a garage-office and, over the years, brought smiles to thousands of workers across India,” said Kaundinya. “We strongly believe that the joint NIA-Jarsh mission can help alleviate the working conditions of workers across the world,” he added.