SPC Free Zone is the world’s first free zone for publishing. It is strategically located in the heart of Sharjah and offers a mix of infrastructure facilities such as Coworking, Retail, Storage and Commercial Offices, along with a business-friendly regulatory environment. SPC Free Zone enables the entry and expansion of industry players into the Middle Eastern and African regions. Its close proximity and ease of access to air and sea trade ports facilitates trade, import and export to your preferred countries. The option to have a dual license (mainland and free zone) allows convenient selling in the local market.
A huge advantage for publishing businesses
SPC Free Zone is the publishing powerhouse of the region. It provides publishers a one-stop platform to produce and sell locally and internationally in the creative industry to cater to a vibrant, young population. Their associations with reputable government entities and investments with private publishing organisations will provide publishers with significant ease and business expansion opportunities.
Government initiatives to support the industry
Since the emirate of Sharjah is known as a cultural capital as well as an education hub, there are government initiatives in place to support the publishing industry. Some of these include:
1. Sharjah Book Authority's (SBA) mandate includes enhancing investment in creative industries, providing a platform for culture and knowledge exchange between people, civilisation and cultures of the world; highlighting the importance of books in today's multimedia world, and supporting the children's book industry. It operates in several sectors under the literacy umbrella; including publishing, printing, book translation, book festivals, and children's literature. SPC Free Zone, being a subsidiary of SBA has a carefully crafted eco-system for the publishing industry to thrive and does this through:
2. National Media Council (NMC) supervises the implementation of media policies across the UAE. All content producing entities are mandated to acquire a permit from the council. Having the National Media Council under our roof is extremely advantageous to publishers registered with SPC Free Zone.
3. Sharjah International Literary Agency (SILA) aims to facilitate communication among publishers, authors, translators, and creatives. SILA will play a vital role in ensuring that the rights of publishers and writers alike are protected, in addition to stimulating the Arabic publishing market by promoting Arabic literary and cultural content globally.
4. Sharjah International Book Fair - the third largest book fair in the world
5. The Translation Grant Fund - provides funding to boost book translation and copywriting
6. Sharjah’s Children’s Reading Festival (SCRF) - the largest of its kind in the Arab world
Partnerships for publishing businesses to thrive
SPC Free Zone has also formed partnerships with reputable entities in order to provide publishers with a one-stop platform to grow. Some of these include:
Ingram and Sharjah Book Authority have established a joint venture to operate a Lightning Source print on demand (POD) facility at SPC Free Zone, allowing publishers to reach readers worldwide more efficiently. Lightning Source can eliminate challenges associated with consumer demand, affordable distribution, and print runs, support publishers by making their titles available regionally and globally and facilitate book production and supply more swiftly.
2. EPA UAE
Emirates Publisher Association (EPA) is a non-profit organisation that works to develop the UAE’s publishing industry. Being a member of EPA will provide benefits such as significant exposure of book titles in the local and international market, and help publishers connect with some of the largest names in the industry. EPA membership requirements mandate that the company should be owned by an Emirati national holding not less than 51% of its shares. However, a publisher licensed with SPC Free Zone is able to register as a member, regardless of the business owner's nationality.
Join SPC Free Zone in creating a new world of infinite publishing opportunities. Operate your company at the heart of the publishing industry and benefit from the strategic location, modern facilities, business-friendly and relaxed regulations, and supportive authorities with decades of experience in promoting culture and literacy.
Visit the SPC Free Zone booth at the entrance of halls 5 and 6 at Sharjah International Book Fair from 3 to 13 November. Get in touch with us at 800-SPCFZ (77239) or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on services and offers.
Visit www.spcfz.ae for additional details.