When travelling, having a fully charged power bank at hand can ensure your communication devices never run out of juice. The International Air Transport Association (IATA) categorically states that “power banks are considered spare batteries and must be individually protected from short-circuit and carried in carry-on baggage only.” Etihad and Emirates both reiterate the same regulations, with Etihad specifying that if you are travelling with a smart bag that has an integrated power bank, it should have a watt/hour rating lower than 100Wh, otherwise you would require prior approval.
Discover options in our curated list of power banks that are safe for flights. Get them as soon as tomorrow with Amazon Prime’s free one-day delivery.
1. Best Overall: Charmast Power Delivery Power Bank 26,800mAh
- Charges four devices at once
- Slim design
- Protected from overheating
- Comes with three USB cables
- Can charge Android and Apple phones, Nintendo Switch, tablets and MacBook
- Heavy due to its high power capacity
- Lightning cable is not included
- Doesn't support Samsung S9 and above, and Huawei P and Mate series
This power bank is so powerful, it can fully recharge your MacBook twice, before it needs to be plugged in. With built-in safeguards to protect the device against overheating and overcharging, the ultra-slim power bank can slip into your laptop bag and is safe for travel. It has a universal fit for most phones and devices, with two standard USB ports, a, 18W Quick Charge port and a 20W Power Delivery USB-C port. And its high-capacity functionality means you can be rest assured you have enough power to charge multiple devices. The seller provides a 12-month support service upon purchase.
2. Best for iPhone: Anker Magnetic Wireless Portable Charger 5,000mAh
- Pocket-sized device
- Snap and Go magnetic convenience
- Comes with an input and output USB-C cable
- Charges two devices at the same time
- Some say it even wirelessly powers AirPods
- Designed for iPhone 12 series only but works with iPhone 13 series, too, according to buyers
- Only charges through MagSafe cases
- Reviews say the charge can be slow
Slim and compact, this magnetic, wireless power bank can charge two mobile phones simultaneously and can attach to your phone with just a click. The catch though, is that it can only charge iPhone 12 series through its 5W magnetic charging capabilities; reviews say it also works well with iPhone 13 series. However, the power bank can be used as a wired charger for devices with a USB-C port, and has both temperature control and short-circuit prevention, so it’s perfect to carry on flights.
Warranty: The manufacturer offers an 18-month warranty.
3. Best for Mobile Charging: Anker Power Bank, PowerCore Essential 20,000mAh
- Lightweight at 0.8lbs (362.8 grams)
- Two ports for charging two mobile devices
- Has temperature control
- Charges both Android and Apple phones, and tablets
- Does not support laptop charging
- USB cables are not included
The powerful Anker PowerCore can deliver over five charges to an iPhone XS, five charges to a Galaxy S10 and over two charges to an iPad Mini 5. With fast charging speed and twin USB charging ports, you can plug in two devices at the same time and let it do its job. As small as a phone, the power bank is ideal for travel and is designed for on-the-go convenience.
4. Best Portable Device: Belkin BOOSTCHARGE Portable Charger Power Bank 10,000 mAh
- Comes with built-in cables for both Apple and Android devices
- Has a separate charging port
- Booster power for speedy charge
- Pick from three colours - pink, blue and black
- Doesn't come with a charging cable for the battery
Belkin's portable power bank comes with two short integrated charging cables on the sides, so you never have to worry about storing wires. This light and compact power bank provides charge to two devices at the same time via a Lightning head for Apple products and a USB-C cable for Android smartphones and tablets. It's capable of juicing your iPhone 11 for another good 31 hours on long flights.
5. Best Budget: TOPK Portable Charger 10000mAh
- Value for money
- Attractive yet sturdy construction
- LED display for remaining battery
- Reviews say it delivers fast charge
- Supports two devices at the same time
- Heavier than most
- Only includes one micro USB cable by the brand
TOPK's 18W power bank is probably the best budget-friendly travel companion you will find for your smartphones, notebooks and headphones. Its built-in smart digital display technology lets you know how much power is remaining, so that you can plug it in for a quick charge. Slim and luxe, it has three slots, of which USB-A is output, micro USB is input and USB-C is both input and output. The power bank also has a multi-protection system to protect it against high voltage and short circuits.
Our recommendations are independently chosen by Gulf News editors. If you decide to shop through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission, as we are part of Amazon Services LLC Associates Program.