Region | Syria

Three Syrian military defectors killed by security forces - activists

Three Syrian military defectors have been killed by security forces, activists said

  • Agencies
  • Published: 14:59 September 8, 2011
  • Gulf News

  • Image Credit: AP
  • Syrian protesters carry a long Syrian flag while shouting slogans against President Bashar Al Assad in Bucharest on September 2, 2011. At least 24 people were killed in violence across Syria on Sunday, September 4, 2011, reports said as the visiting Red Cross chief sought access to those detained in more than five months of anti-regime protests
Image 1 of 3
123

Damascus: Three Syrian military defectors have been killed by security forces, activists said. Details to come.

Crackdown continues Thursday

Syria, accused by France of committing "crimes against humanity," Thursday pressed its crackdown on dissent as it sent security forces into a northwestern village, rights activists said.

"A force comprising seven armoured vehicles and 10 jeeps stormed the village of Ibleen in Jabal Al-Zawiyah (region) in search of people wanted by the security services," the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said in a statement.

Heavy gunfire

"Heavy gunfire was heard as the forces stormed the village," the Observatory said in a statement received by AFP in Nicosia.

The assault on the village comes a day after regime forces, according to rights activists, killed another 23 people, 21 of them in a tank-backed raid on the flashpoint central city of Homs.

The United Nations says 2,200 people have been killed since democracy protests flared in Syria in mid-March, with the brutal crackdown being widely condemned by world powers, some of whom have slapped sanctions on the Damascus regime.

French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe pulled no punches during talks on Wednesday in Moscow with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov.

Crimes against humanity

"The Syrian regime has committed crimes against humanity," Juppe said.

"The way it (the Syrian regime) suppressed the popular protests is unacceptable," he said, expressing hope that Russia would change its stance and back UN condemnation of the crackdown. The Syrian authorities, he said, should be sent "a powerful signal that such actions cannot continue."

But Lavrov gave no signs of being ready to ease a Russian position that last week saw Moscow lash the European Union for imposing a crippling oil embargo on Syria. "We are convinced that the essential thing is to start dialogue at the talks table," Lavrov said.

"We consider that inciting certain forces within the opposition to boycott the invitation to dialogue is a dangerous path and risks a repetition of the Libyan scenario, which neither Russia nor France wants."

Russia opposed

Russia has staunchly opposed attempts by Western governments to push through a UN Security Council resolution targeting President Bashar Al Assad and has circulated an alternative draft calling for him to implement reforms.

European Union nations are considering fresh sanctions against Syria, a diplomatic source who asked not to be identified said in Brussels.

"There is preliminary political agreement" between EU nations on slapping a ban on oil-sector related investment as part of a seventh round of sanctions against the Assad regime, the source said. Most of Wednesday's deaths occurred in Homs after it was raided by security forces backed by tanks, activists said.

The Syrian Observatory said "military reinforcements including 20 truckloads of soldiers entered the city," and that there was "intense gunfire in the market and governorate headquarters."

Eight killed, dozens wounded at Homs

Eight soldiers and five "insurgents" were killed at Homs, the official Sana news agency reported, adding that "dozens" of soldiers were wounded by "armed terrorists who attacked civilians and security forces" across the city.

"Security forces succeeded in eliminating them and five of the armed criminals were killed," Sana said, adding that several arrests had been made. The deadly crackdown came only hours after Syria said it was postponing a planned visit to Damascus by the head of the Arab League.

The Cairo-based pan-Arab organisation said Nabil al-Arabi would now visit on Saturday. Damascus had postponed the trip at the 11th-hour "due to circumstances beyond our control."

Arabi has been commissioned by the 22-member bloc to travel to Damascus with a 13-point document outlining proposals to end the bloody crackdown on dissent and push Syria to launch reforms.

Pluralistic government

According to a copy of the document seen by AFP, Arabi is to propose that Assad hold elections in three years, move towards a pluralistic government and immediately halt the crackdown.

The initiative, agreed by Arab foreign ministers last month, angered Syria which said it contained "unacceptable and biased language."

Syria's regime, which has promised to launch a wide range of reforms to appease protesters, blames the unrest on foreign-backed "armed terrorist gangs." burs/bpz AFP

A Syrian refugee at Boynuyogun Refugee Camp

Blog

Gulf News covers Syrian refugee crisis in Jordan

News Editor's choice
Quick Links

  1. Business

  2. Sport

  3. The latest Entertainment news

  4. The latest Lifestyle stories

  5. Opinion

Gulf Country Finder

  1. The latest news from the UAE

  2. Saudi Arabia

  3. Qatar

  4. Bahrain

  5. Oman

  6. Kuwait

  7. Yemen

Region Country Finder

  1. Syria

  2. Palestinian territories

  3. Jordan

  4. Lebanon

  5. Iran

  6. Iraq

  7. Egypt

Influencers

  1. United States of America

  2. India

  3. Pakistan

  4. United Kingdom

Regions

  1. Gulf

  2. Region

  3. The latest news from around the world