Ramallah: Palestinian hunger striker Bilal Diab told his family that he will not end his fast until he is released from prison. Israeli authorities permitted Diab to make a six-minute phone call to his family, a rare luxury for a Palestinian serving administrative detention.
"His voice was very weak but he said he will only end his hunger strike at his own home," Diab's brother, Bassam told Gulf News.
"Bilal is ready to reject any offers from Israel," he said. "So far, there have been no proposals."
The Israeli military detained Diab and sentenced him to a six-month administrative detention order which was renewed with another six-month order, when he started his protest hunger strike.
No visit permit for family
Since his detention, the Israeli authorities have refused to grant Diab's family members even a single visit permit.
Currently, Diab's sick mother has applied for a permit to visit her son through the Red Cross, but the Israeli authorities have rejected the request.
Yesterday, AFP reported that Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike in Israeli jails were weighing a package of measures easing their conditions in exchange for ending their protest.
"The prisoners are looking at the deal that was agreed in Cairo. Only the prisoners can decide," a Palestinian source close to the Egyptian-brokered negotiations with Israel said.
"It's the leaders of the prisoners who have the key, to say yes or no."
Some 1,550 Palestinian prisoners are on hunger strike, including two detainees who yesterday entered their 76th day without food.
They are calling on Israel to ease restrictions on family visits and prisoner education, and an end to both solitary confinement and the use of administrative detention, a procedure under which suspects can be held indefinitely without charge.
Late on Sunday, a source confirmed to AFP that a deal regarding their demands had been hammered out in Cairo.