Cairo: An Egyptian court trying former president Hosni Mubarak and former interior minister Habib Al Adly was told on Monday that none of them had ordered the killing of protesters during a revolt earlier this year.
The director of telecommunications at the Interior Ministry Ebrahim Mousa told the court that Ahmad Ramzy, an aide to Al Adly, was the one who made the orders “on his own” after receiving information that protesters in central Cairo’s Al Tahrir Square would attack the nearby building of the Interior Ministry.
Ramzy is one of six senior policemen being tried along with Mubarak and Al Adly on charges of involvement in killing at least 846 protesters during the uprising that toppled Mubarak in February.
The witness added that ambulances were used to carry weapons instead of police trucks after demonstrators started to torch security vehicles.
Lawyer ejected from courtroom
Meanwhile, the court has ordered a defence lawyer to leave the courtroom after he raised Mubarak's picture.
His move enraged families of protesters, killed during a popular revolt earlier this year, and clashed with Mubarak's loyalists inside the courtroom at the Police Academy outside Cairo.
The chief judge of the court Ahmad Refaat had to delay a break due to the clash during which bottles of water were thrown and anti-Mubarak slogans were chanted.
Mubarak, his two sons, former interior minister Habib Al Adly and six senior policemen appeared during the session, the third since the historic trial started on August 3.
Mubarak, Al Adly and the six senior policemen are charged with a deadly crackdown on peaceful protesters.
Meanwhile, the toppled president, his two sons and a fugitive business tycoon are facing charges of corruption.
Earlier Monday, Egyptian police clashed with families of protesters, killed in a revolt earlier this year, outside a courtroom near Cairo where the trial of former president Hosni Mubarak is being held.
The angry families threw stones at the security forces when they barred them from entering the venue of the trial without permits, according to security sources.
Around five people, including a policeman, were injured in the clashes, said the sources.
Mubarak, former interior minister Habib Al Adly and six senior aides, are facing charges of ordering the killing of protesters during a popular uprising earlier this year.
Meanwhile, Mubarak, 83, and his two sons, Ala'a and Jamal, are accused of corruption and power abuse.
Hussain Salem, a fugitive businessman and a close associate of Mubarak, is also being tried in the same case on charges of wasting public money by brokering a questionable deal to supply Israel with Egyptian gas at prices lower than their market value.
- With inputs from agencies