Dubai: The entrepreneurs behind 14 small and medium-sized businesses were honoured on Monday.
His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, attended the ceremony to mark the sixth edition of the Mohammad Bin Rashid Small and Medium Enterprise Awards for Young Business Leaders.
The awards were presented by Shaikh Hamdan Bin Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai.
"Dubai acknowledged the importance of SMEs and their critical role in developing and diversifying the economy in 2002 with the launch of the Mohammad Bin Rashid Establishment for Young Business Leaders," said Abdul Baset Al Janahi, CEO of the government-owned entity.
"The critical role of the Establishment is to develop the leadership of local Emiratis to be their own managers and bosses. This instills in them leadership and entrepreneurial qualities which are indeed the bedrock of Dubai's econ-omic development."
The Establishment has assisted business start-ups with more than Dh1 billion in government contracts since it began.
The SME awards are designed to foster competition among young business owners and honour their ideas. "The award is not only about rewarding companies, but about encouraging future entrepreneurs," said Saeed Mohammad Ahmad, divisional senior vice-president of procurement and logistics at Emirates, who won the award for the fifth year running.
High achievers: the winners are ...
The SME Awards were bestowed on business owners representing multiple sectors. The winners are:
- Best Business in Retail: Saif Abdullah Salem Al Ali of HI Phone Communications.
- Best Business in Health Care: Dr Hussain Abdul Al Rahman Saif Al Salih, Oris Dental Clinic.
- Best Business in Professional Services: Elissa Ali Bin Salem Al Za'abi, Kinda Troly Nilon.
- Best Business in Marketing and Promotions: Ali Khalifa Bin Ahmad Bin Thalith, the first lens of artistic production, and Mona Hassan Ali Saleh, DWSI Net Power.
- Best Business in Tourism: Mohammad Yousuf Hassan Al Aziz, RAK Dream Tours
- Best Business in Consultancy: Abdullah Ebrahim Abdullah Daives of Daives Law Consultancy.
- Best Business in Food and Beverage: Ebrahim Ali Abdullah Bin Shahin, DGT.
- Best Business in Design: Nasser Salem, Mohammad Al Ali, Bin Salem Design.
- Best Business in Electronics: Khalifa Abdul Aziri and Abdul Al Rahim Al Jaziri, E Home Automation.
- Best Business in Logistics Services: H Hussain Ali Shaheen Al Balushi, Al Wajdaniya Transport.
- Best Businessman: Eisa Ali Bin Salem Al Za'abi, Kinda Troly Nilon.
- Best Arabic Business, Men: Bassem Al Agzawi, Inspiration Design.
- Best Arabic Business, Women: Noura Bandr Al Mukaiteb, Nourait Restaurant.
- The Winner in the Young Entrepreneur Competition (YEC): Lollipop Team
Have your say
Do you think the private sector should be doing more to help SMEs succeed? How can they help? What do you think is the main reason a business might not succeed?