The Dubai Metro, which turned 12 this year, transports more than 600,000 people to their destination around the city every day. The cost-effective and eco-friendly mass transit system has geared up for increased footfall during Expo 2020 Dubai.
Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) urges visitors to opt for public transport for their commute to the venue, after all a dedicated track Route 2020, Metro station and other mega projects were completed to serve them. The brand new line runs 15km in total from the Jebel Ali Metro Station, connecting seven stations: Jebel Ali, The Gardens, Discovery Gardens, Al Furjan, Jumeirah Golf Estates, Dubai Investment Park and Expo 2020.
Here is the timetable for the Expo 2020 Station to get you started:
Timings of Expo 2020 Station
- Saturday to Wednesday, 5am to 1.15am (of the next day)
- Thursday, 5am to 2.15am (of the next day)
- Friday, 8am to 1.15am (of the next day)
The public could only board the train to Expo 2020 Station from October 1 onward. Drop off is right at the mouth of the site’s entrance, putting you directly in the path of Al Wasl Plaza, the heart of Expo, which is just a short stroll away. Frequency of the trains is approximately every two minutes.
Read on for a quick and easy rundown of how you can board the Metro to get to the Expo site no matter which part of the city you are in.
Dubai Metro zones and lines
The Metro routes are divided into various zones; ticket prices vary depending on the number of zones you cross. There are three Metro lines that are currently operational in the city: the Green Line, the Red Line and the Branch Line.
Route 2020 is part of the Red Line that has a capacity of 46,000 riders per hour in both directions, and the number of riders is expected to reach 275,000 per day by 2030.
Get your nol card
Before you embark on your public transport journey, you will need a nol card – a smart card that is used to pay for travel on Dubai Metro, buses and tram. These are available at any Metro station in Dubai.
You can take your pick from the four nol Card types:
- Silver Card – Dh25 (regular)
- Gold Card – Dh25 (premium access to gold class cabin on metro and tram)
- Personal Card – Dh50 (personalised with added security)
- Red Ticket – Dh2 (one-trip paper card)
If you are travelling within one zone, your one-way ticket will start from Dh3. Similarly, if you are crossing two zones then this will cost you Dh5, more than two zones will charge you Dh7.50. Depending on which card you use and the category you fall under, the fare for Metro will vary.
Getting on Route 2020 from the airport
Since Route 2020 is part of the Red Line, all you need to ensure is that you stay on this train track.
Once you have landed in Dubai, here is how you can take the train to Expo:
Arriving at Dubai International Airport
- Approach either Terminal 1 or 3 for a direct commute to the Expo 2020 Station.
- Board the Metro from the airport towards Expo 2020.
- Keep on the Red Line, you do not need to switch trains at any of the interchange stations.
- Continue on your trip, until you arrive at the Expo 2020 Station.
This journey will take you approximately an hour and seven minutes for Dh7.50.
Arriving at Al Maktoum International Airport
- Board the F55 bus from Al Maktoum International Airport Arrivals bus stand.
- Get off at Ibn Battuta Bus Station.
- Walk for two minutes to get to the Ibn Battuta Metro Station.
- Change trains at the Jebel Ali Metro Station and stay on for six stops till you arrive at Expo 2020 Station.
This journey will take you approximately an hour and 8 minutes for Dh7.50.
Using the Green Line to reach Expo
The Green Line starts from Etisalat Metro Station till Creek Metro Station. Do this if your nearest Metro station is on the Green Line:
- Interchange your train at Union or BurJuman to get on the Red Line.
- Continue till the last stop of the Red Line – Expo 2020 Metro Station.
Using the Branch Line to reach Expo
The Branch Line runs from Jabal Ali Metro Station to UAE Exchange Metro Station. Follow this route to the Expo 2020 venue if your nearest station is on the Branch Line:
- Board from any five of the stations on this line till Jabal Ali.
- Interchange trains to switch to Red Line and continue on Route 2020.
- Get off at the last stop – Expo 2020 Metro Station.