Dubai: If you do not have your wallet and urgently need cash, you can still withdraw money from the nearest Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) without using an ATM card.
Many banks in the UAE offer the cardless cash withdrawals, allowing customers to access their accounts and withdraw money without a card.
How do I withdraw cash from an ATM without a card?
While the specific process that you need to follow may differ from one bank to another, in general, banks may require you to fulfil the following criteria:
1. Have an active online banking account
2. Have the bank’s app on your phone (or a third-party app that the bank provides for this service)
3. Have an active UAE mobile number linked to your online banking account.
The banks require customers to log in through the app to request a cash withdrawal and the customer is sent a verification code via SMS that he or she needs to use to complete the transaction at an ATM machine.
Here is a more detailed breakdown of the steps you may need to follow in order to withdraw money from an ATM machine, even when you don’t have your card with you:
1. Open your bank’s mobile app – or the designated app for this service – and sign in to your online banking account.
2. Select the cardless cash withdrawal service and choose the amount you wish to withdraw. You also have the option to transfer the money to someone else.
3. Next, a One-Time Password (OTP) will be sent to your mobile number. If you are transferring the money to a relative, friend or colleague, you will get the option of entering the person’s mobile number. The OTP will then be sent to their mobile number.
4. Locate the bank’s nearest ATM. Once you are there, select ‘cardless cash withdrawal’ from the menu options displayed on the screen.
5. Enter the OTP number you received from the bank.
6. The ATM machine will then dispense the cash as per the amount you selected in Step 2.
How do I know if my bank offers cardless cash withdrawal?
To find out if your bank offers this service, you can either check out the service list on the bank’s smartphone application, where the service might be listed, or contact your bank’s customer service centre.