It's been three decades since the Abu Dhabi Choral Group (ADCG) first started singing. To celebrate the milestone anniversary, the choir is performing a concert entitled A Festival of Holiday Music next week.
The show promises to be an event for all the family featuring songs for the festive season, both religious and secular.
Jennifer Caldwell, chairman of the group, said their open-door policy had been a real attraction for members over the years.
"All people who love to sing are welcome to join us," she said. "There's a real mix of nationalities, just like in Abu Dhabi itself. We find that many of our members are new to the city and know that the choir will provide an enjoyable opportunity to meet other people and start integrating into the cultural fabric here."
The non-profit amateur choir was founded in 1977 and now has more than 100 active or affiliated members including 53 singers and 10 musicians in the band.
The group's art co-ordinator Laura Roberts, who has been with the choir for 19 years, said: "Our membership has always been made up of a number of music teachers and musicians, who thoroughly keep us on our toes by running sectional rehearsals, drilling our notes until they are performance ready and fine-tuning the sound of the lovely instrument that only a well-balanced choir can create."
- WHAT: A Festival of Holiday Music by the Abu Dhabi Choral Group.
- WHEN and WHERE: December 6 and 7 at the theatre of the British School Al Khubairat, Abu Dhabi. Also on December 8 at St. Andrew's Church, Abu Dhabi.
- TIME: 8pm nightly and 5pm for a children's matinee on December 7.
- COST: Dh40 for the evening performances, Dh20 for the one-hour children's matinee.
- CONTACT: Tickets are sold at the video desk at Spinneys, Abu Dhabi. For details, call 050-4420029 or email adcgchoir@yahoo. com