Early this year, I suffered from sudden hearing loss in my left ear, severe dizziness and a ringing sensation in my ear, which is persistent. I've consulted various doctors but to no avail. Please advise an Ayurvedic treatment.
Raksha Patel, Dubai
Tinnitus involves the annoying sensation of hearing a ringing sound when no external sound is present.
Common causes of tinnitus are exposure to loud noise, earwax blockage, stiffening of the bones in the middle ear, Ménière's disease, stress, head or neck injuries, atherosclerosis, high blood pressure, certain antibiotics and diuretics.
There are some effective Ayurvedic medicines and external therapies for the condition. Consult an Ayurvedic doctor for a detailed diagnosis and course of treatment.
During an acute attack, lie down on a firm surface. Try to remain as motionless as possible, with your eyes open and fixed on a stationary object.
Here are a few tips to help control the condition:l Avoid caffeine and reduce the amount of salt in your diet.
- Apply sesame oil on your scalp and massage a few drops around and inside your ear before taking a shower.
- Take 5g of Aswagandha* powder, mixed in a glass of milk just before you retire for the night.
- Stop worrying about the ringing sound. The more you worry about it, the louder it will become.
- Stress management through massages, exercise or yoga, may provide some relief.
- Avoid long spells in front of computer or television screens.
*Available at shops selling herbal products