Sport | Cricket

Sponsored By

Pietersen back in England fold after apology

Batsman to be ‘reintegrated’ into squad during coming months

  • Reuters
  • Published: 17:18 October 3, 2012
  • Gulf News

  • Image Credit: AP
  • England's cricketer Kevin Pietersen, right, walks out after a press conference in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2012.

Colombo, Sri Lanka: Controversial batsman Kevin Pietersen can return to the England fold after making peace with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) in a row over “provocative” text messages, officials said on Wednesday.

Pietersen had apologised to former England captain Andrew Strauss, the ECB said in a statement, and could potentially return to the squad for the tour of India later this year.

“Agreement has been reached concerning a process for his reintegration into the England team during the remainder of 2012,” the statement said. “Upon completion of the programme, the England selectors will consider Kevin for future matches.

“Kevin Pietersen has apologised to Andrew Strauss and wishes to express to all those who support England his regrets at the impact the recent controversies have had on the England Team.

“He now wishes to put the events of the summer behind him and to focus on regaining his place in the England team.”

Pietersen, who has averaged nearly 50 in 88 Test matches, was dropped in August after admitting sending messages to members of the opposing South Africa side which he conceded were provocative but denied were derogatory about Strauss, the ECB said.

Pietersen said he had deleted the messages and the ECB said the issue had been “successfully concluded through a binding assurance provided by Kevin”.

Pietersen told a news conference in Colombo on Wednesday that he was committed to England “in all formats” until at least 2015.

“I’d like to take this opportunity to apologise to my teammates, all England supporters and the ECB for the situation that has arisen over the last couple of months,” Pietersen said in a prepared statement in the Sri Lankan capital, where he has been commentating for television on the ICC World Twenty20.

“Thankfully we have drawn a line under it and can move forward. Although it has been made clear in the statement, I’d like to make it clear that at no time did I share tactical information with any of the South Africans.

“It’s been a horrible situation for all involved but it is time to move forward. All being well, I’ll be back in an England shirt as soon as possible.

“I am committed to completing the reintegration process we have agreed over the coming weeks and resuming my England career in all formats, hopefully until the World Cup in 2015, as long as my body allows.

“I want my son growing up seeing me playing for England and I hope one day he will put an England shirt on himself.”

Gulf News
Quick Links

  1. Business

  2. The latest Entertainment news

  3. The latest Lifestyle stories

  4. Blogs

  5. Opinion

In Sport

  1. Cricket

  2. Football

  3. Motorsport

  4. Basketball

  5. Boxing

  6. Horse Racing

  7. Athletics

  8. Golf

  9. Rugby

  10. Sailing

  11. Tennis

Latest In Sport

  1. Squash star David suffers first Glasgow defeat

  2. England’s part-timers leave India in a spin

  3. Coronation day for Kingman at Goodwood

  4. India face crucial South Africa showdown

  5. Jamaica’s Weir off to a confident start

  6. Indian wrestlers eyeing more gold medals