Abu Dhabi: Muslim Cultures of Bombay Cinema, a film festival and the first of its kind, kicked off on Thursday evening. The festival will run until March 22.
The festival celebrates and explores the rich influence of Muslim cultures on the cinema of Bombay from the 1930s to the present and includes the work of key Muslim directors, Mehboob Khan, Sohrab Modi, and Kamal Amrohi.
Muslim cultures are expressed in Bombay cinema through the influence of the Urdu language on a cinema that is often termed "Hindi" cinema, through Islamic poetic forms, story-telling traditions, and musical expression, and through distinctive forms of social life.
Through Muslim cultural idioms widely inform Hindi-Urdu cinema they are most articulately manifest in the three broad genres that are represented in this festival: the Historical, the Courtesan Film, and the Muslim Social.
The festival will feature 14 films drawn from these genres that have been selected on the grounds of their historical and aesthetic importance.
Some of these film have never been subtitled into English before nor widely seen since their original release.
Filmmakers and actors will attend the screenings for Q&A, and a workshop will take place on the topic involving experts on Islamic art, culture and society in South Asia.
- What: Film festival - Muslim Cultures of Bombay Cinema,
- When: February 26-March 22
- Where: Al Dhafra Auditorium, Cultural Foundation, Abu Dhabi
- Thursday February 26 at 7:00pm, Jodha Akbar (2008) ; Directed by Ashutosh Gowariker
- Saturday February 28 at 3:00pm, Pukar (1939) ; Directed by Sohrab Modi
- Saturday February 28 at 7:00pm, Mirza Ghalib (1954) ; Directed by Sohrab Modi
- Sunday March 1 at 3:00pm, Chaudhvin ka Chand (1960) ; Directed by M Sadiq
- Sunday March 1 at 7:00pm, Mughal-e-Azam (1960) ; Directed by K Asif
Muslim Social Films
- Thursday March 12 at 3:00pm, Najma ( 1943) ; Directed by Mehboob Khan
- Thursday March 12 at 7:00pm, Mere Mehboob (1963) ; Directed by H.S. Rawail
New Wave Films
- Saturday March 14 at 3:00pm, Garm Hawa (1973) ; Directed by M.S. Sathyu
- Saturday March 14 at 7:00pm, Mammo (1994) ; Directed by Shyam Benegal
- Thursday March 19 at 7:00pm, Salim Langde Pe Mat Ro (1989) ; Directed by Saeed Mirza
- Saturday March 21 at 3:00pm, Fiza (2000) ; Directed by Khalid Mohammed
- Saturday March 21 at 7:00pm, Sardari Begum (1996) ; Directed by Shyam Benegal
- Sunday March 22 at 3:00pm, Pakeezah (1971) ; Directed by Kamal Amrohi
- Sunday March 22 at 7:00pm, Umrao Jaan (2006) ; Directed by J. P. Dutta