Ready for the fall? To help you get into the right fashion frame of mind this new season, The Directory has enlisted the help of David Dessureault, the senior menswear buyer at Saks Fifth Avenue Dubai, to give us his top trends.
1. The Velvet Tuxedo Jacket: Make a statement this season with a novelty velvet tuxedo jacket. This can be styled in numerous, rich jewel tones — think sapphire, emerald and ruby. However, for those who don’t like to make such a statement, stay in style with a more fitted tuxedo jacket.
2. Autumn Brights: This season’s fall-winter colour palette has moved from the traditional monotone shades and shifted to an autumn bright. Change your greys to burnt orange, your blacks to burgundy and your navys to brick to effortlessly perfect this look.
3. Geometrics: The geometric trend is a must for every outfit. This can be fashioned in many forms; from Alexander Mcqueen’s pocket square, to Dior Homme’s graphic print tee, to Balenciaga’s monochrome denim.
4. Graphic Knits: Forget your plain old crew neck, it’s time to invest in some outlandish prints. From tigers to zigzags, graphic knits have been spotted on the runway of every major designer this season — from Kenzo’s Tiger print sweatshirt to Dior Homme’s pullover and Maison Martin Margiela’s fisherman patchwork knit.
5. Luxe Sport: Sportswear has taken it to another level this season, with inspiration drawn from the university trend. This season is all about bomber jackets, college-inspired printed sweatshirts and a more tapered sweat pant. Mix and match this with a tailored contrast piece to execute this look perfectly.
6. Re-Defined High Top: Don’t think basketball courts and football fields, think street style and Paris Fashion Week. With the men’s fashion world focusing more on footwear, the re-defined high top is the new must have shoe to invest in this season, making or breaking every outfit.
7. Patchwork: This trend is all about patched, mixed fabric pieces. From suede pockets, to leather sleeves, using different fabrics to perfect one piece is the way to go. Take on this stitched-together style through reworked techniques and wearable separates.
8. Forest Fantasy: This trend originates from the intriguing mystery of forest-inspired colours, prints and animal motifs. The combination of nature and earthy tones provides a gateway of mystery and fantasy.
9. Winter Florals: Dolce & Gabbana had this look blossomed all over their runway this fall-winter season. Moving away from the summer brights, the winter floral can be found in more toned down shades or in an embroidered 3D effect.
10. Hardware: With the rise and success of Saint Laurent’s creative director, Hedi Slimane, this season saw the Saint Laurent Paris runway full of spikes, studs, metals and leathers. This trend was filtered across all the designers, even down to their accessories. Alexander McQueen incorporated chains onto their wallets, Maison Martin Margiela and DSquared2 gave us spiked trainers, and therefore we are confident to say this is the final trend to perfect your fall-winter wardrobe.
*David Dessureault, is the division manager and senior menswear buyer at Sak Fifth Avenue Dubai. All items pictured available at Saks Fifth Avenue Dubai. Call 04-5012700.