1. Great excuse for some popcorn and ice cream. It’s just like a movie, minus the crowds, screaming kids and mobile phones ringing.
2. Quotes are good fodder for Facebook as they make you look smart.
3. Shut others out without hurting their feelings. Who can argue when you say that you have to finish a book?
4. So you have a clue to what it’s about when it becomes a movie. Lean over and whisper “I betcha he does this...” in the ear of your movie companion and watch their amazement when you’re right... Nostradamus who?
5. Take a journey without leaving your sofa. Losing yourself in a book set in exotic, foreign climes is much easier and cheaper than leaving on a jet plane.
6. It’s a great reason to blow a couple of hours at the bookshop. Once you’re finished, you have to find another book – back to the bookshop!
7. Reawaken your brain. Find a book that you might consider a shocker. The endorphins released during your read will be good for your body and mind.
8. Experience emotions without others knowing. Do you hate crying at the cinema or in public? Now you can read a sad or touching book in the comfort and privacy of your home.
9. Get those emails that say, “Sent from my iPad” at the end? Grab a couple of ebooks
and you to can appear to be working remotely, when in fact you are finishing your newest AppStore purchase during brunch.
10. Finish what you started. Nobody likes a quitter, right?