No two women want to dress alike. It is vital to stand out in the crowd of conformity by adding a personalised touch to any outfit,” says Maha Abdul Rasheed, the lady behind Vintage Reconstructed at Bamba Boutique.
“What you wear is an expression of your personality, and you could be a rebel among the masses by dramatising your look to create a great sense of individuality”.
Katy Perry, Rihanna, Demi Lovato and Kate Moss are known to step out in their unique, eclectic style, which places them among the top in the style stakes. They set trends with anything from boyfriend jeans to denim jackets, military to leather jackets.
Here’s how you can recreate those looks.
1. Get a pair of old baggy jeans — cut off the lengths and stitch studs all over the front to bring to life new shorts! Or dramatise your new boyfriend jeans with studs. Add dark shades for some mysterious glamour.
2. Give old denim jackets a new look by cutting off the sleeves, turning it into a denim vest. Use the denim vest as a canvas and let your creativity run wild: iron on patches, embellishments or sequins can all give that extra pizzazz. Make holes or cut out patches for added attitude.
3. Transform an oversized military jacket by cutting off the sleeves and stitching on a pair of denim sleeves for a mix-and-matched look. Leather jackets are rampant on the catwalk so be sure to get your hands on one — but for that perfect ounce of attitude, add a personal touch, such as tassels at the back or on the hem. Wear the jacket as a dress over a pair of brightly coloured leggings or boldly printed pyjama pants with a hat or beret to match.
4. Use a men’s plaid shirt, cut off the sleeves and the hem to your preferred length and you have a cropped top. Go all out by cutting off the collar and replacing it with a lace or chiffon one. Wear plaid shirts with quirky ties or bow ties to add oomph to your look.
5. For a touch of eccentricity, stitch unwanted fabric bits on the front of a pencil denim skirt, maintaining the inside lines of the denim stitching. Stitch lace on the pockets for a more subtle, feminine look. Paired with a leather satchel it is sure to turn heads.
6. Take an unused piece of denim clothing — shorts, skirts, shirts or vests — and dip them in a bucket of bleach and water half way through. Soak for about 20 minutes. Once done, wash each item separately and you’ll get a half bleached piece of clothing. Add colour with a snazzy scarf.