Blockbuster superhero reboot The Amazing Spider-Man is to be the first of a trilogy after Marc Webb's film broke box-office records in the US when it opened earlier this week. The film opened in the UAE on Thursday.
Studio Sony made the announcement on the movie's Facebook page. On Tuesday, The Amazing Spider-Man took a record $35m (22.5m) on its opening day as US filmgoers flocked to see it on the eve of the Independence Day holiday. The film has also benefited from good reviews and looks likely to be one of the year's highest grossing films despite predictions in some quarters that it might struggle to compete with big beast rival superhero flicks such as The Avengers and the forthcoming The Dark Knight Rises.
"The Amazing Spider-Man is the first instalment in a movie trilogy that will explore how our fave hero's journey was shaped by the disappearance of his parents," Sony said on the film's official Facebook page.
The studio has been eyeing a potential sequel since at least last year, with The Amazing Spider-Man's James Vanderbilt hired to begin writing it in March 2011. Webb, who is not yet confirmed for the follow-up, has also spoken about leaving audiences wanting more at the end of the first film.
"These movies typically have a life beyond a single movie," he told Hollywood.com. "Obviously, there's a narrative obligation to tie things up and a certain pressure to tie up all the loose ends. But I feel like, why not dance with the idea that there's going to be a larger story? There's enough stuff going on, enough obstacles that Peter Parker has to face, that we didn't need to wrap up everything. We could leave people more curious about the future."