West 14th Steakhouse
1. This New Yorkstyle steakhouse on The Palm is an ideal spot to spend the evening wining and dining with friends. Soak up the stunning views of Dubai Marina at night and, when Ramadan comes to an end, there’ll be live jazz music to add to the atmosphere.
2. The food is inventive and there’s everything from fresh seafood to steak. We recommend starting with the Sticky calamari (the spicy, nutty sauce it’s drowned in is to die for), then having the bunless Wagyu burger – which comes with a delicious blueberry sauce. If you have room, try the wonderfully creamy cheesecake afterwards. Oh, and come October, there’ll be a new menu to sample.
3. The barmen can do fantastic flair tricks à la Tom Cruise in Cocktail. So, if you ask them nicely, you might be treated to an impressive show.
4. Come the cooler months, this is the perfect place to sit and relax long into the evening, enjoying the views over the Dubai skyline as you sit and soak up the atmosphere at the outdoor bar.
Oceana, The Palm Jumeirah | Daily noon-3pm and 6pm-midnight| 04 447 7601
Photos of the world’s holy month celebrations
The Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum International Photography Award is hosting an exhibition called The World In Ramadan, and the fascinating photos portray how different cultures celebrate the holy month.
Cost Free Bloomingdale’s Atrium, The Dubai Mall | Daily until August 18 | hipa.ae
Ramadan night market
For 10 nights this holy month, head to the World Trade Centre’s Ramadan Night Market and you’ll find a host of products on sale by retailers from around the world (similar to Global Village). The market brings different cultures to the people of the UAE, and offers shoppers a new experience (this is perfect for gift shopping!).
Dubai World Trade Centre, SZR | 8pm-3am during Ramadan and 5pm-midnight, during Eid; August 10-19 | 04 327 7743
Hello Kitty beauty spa
Mariah Carey loves her, and Hello Kitty will always have an inexplicable place in our heart too, so it comes as no surprise that people have been queuing up for kitty-themed manicures (or kittycures?) at this new spot. We love the Queen and Princess (or mother and daughter) treatment packages as well as the Kitty Glam facials, and when all the pampering’s finished you can take home bundles of Hello Kitty-branded goodies and treat yourself to a cupcake and cup of tea at the candy-floss-pink Parisianthemed spa’s cafe.
Town Centre, Jumeirah | 11am-9pm, Sat to Thu; 12pm-9pm, Fri | 04 344 9598
Chill Out Ice Bar
1. Check out of the heat and into a cool-6°C for the day at the city’s only ice bar. It’s worth a visit, even if just for the novelty of the Burj Al Arab- and Burj Khalifa-themed ice sculptures.
2. The ice bar serves a selection of hot and cold beverages (you receive a complimentary coffee or hot chocolate with your entrance fee) and you can even enjoy a meal in the subzero temperatures, with sushi, kebabs, soup and pizza all on the menu.
Cost Dh60 entry
Times Square, Al Quoz | 10am-11pm, Sun to Thu; 10am-midnight, Fri to Sat | 04 341 8121