This simple yet effective posture not only improves the axial rotation, that is the twisting movement of the spine, but also helps tone the waistline and stimulate the abdominal organs.
1. Stand with your feet hip-width apart and arms beside you.
2. Wrap your left arm around your back and place your right hand on your left shoulder. Twist your body towards the left and push your left shoulder as far back as possible. Look over the left shoulder. Hold for a few seconds.
3. Inhale as you return to the start and repeat on the other side. Repeat 5-10 rounds. Exhale as you turn back, hold your breath as you hold the position and inhale as you come back.
• It is useful for correcting postural problems.
• It removes stiffness in the back and shoulders.
• It brings about a feeling of lightness, and relieves physical and mental tension.
From next week: Yoga for diabetes
For more information log on to www.artisticyoga.com