Sauber team principal against 22-race calendar

Kaltenborn says extended F1 season would affect personal and professional lives

  • By Alaric Gomes, Senior Reporter
  • Published: 16:27 November 2, 2013
  • Gulf News

Abu Dhabi: Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn has voiced her opposition to the FIA’s plans to expand the Formula One calendar from 19 races to 22 next year.

While the Indian Grand Prix has been dropped for 2014 in an attempt to accommodate the race earlier in the schedule from 2015, Formula One’s next calendar could include four new stops that are subject to final approval — in New Jersey, Russia, Mexico and Austria.

“I simply think 22 races in a year will be too much, not just from a professional point of view but from a personal view as well,” Kaltenborn told Gulf News on the sidelines of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

“We [Sauber] are a small team and travelling around for nearly the whole year can be quite demanding. I think 22 races are a bit too many. If you are exclusive then you should try and remain that.”

Gulf News
Columnists
Sport Editor's choice